Region Free Blu-ray Players

David Rees

Guest Markgway

I have a Tevion region-switchable Blu Ray player. Looks different (frankly better) than the machine on that link BUT the remote control is the same design. Presumably created by the same manufacturer (Curtis).

Did you purchase the Tevion from Aldi or somewhere else? I'm waiting for Aldi to restock some of their Tevion DVD players as I've read that they feature good divx playback.

Guest Markgway
Did you purchase the Tevion from Aldi or somewhere else? I'm waiting for Aldi to restock some of their Tevion DVD players as I've read that they feature good divx playback.

Aldi. Got it about six months ago.

Thought i would pass this on as region free Blu ray players can be hard to find and expensive.

I have this model and it changes the region for Blu ray via a remote code also it is region free for dvd out of the box. I have had no trouble with mine and i saw that they have them for sale on Ebay again for under £100 (£99.99), i paid £120 for mine. I think there is limited supply.

link here....REGION FREE BLU RAY PLAYER....

Shaolin Chamber 36

This reminds me of about 5 years ago when I purchased a Apex DVD player for like $40, entered a simple code, and it was now a Region Free player. Much cheaper than spending s few hundred for those advertised RF players. Thanks for the link David. Does anyone know of a code to make PS3 region free? :)

You cannot punch a code in for the PS3, i think it has to be chipped which isnt easy.

By the way Shaolin Chamber when does your site go live again?

Reel Power Stunts

Just a word of warning about these players. Essentially the same machine has been sold under different branding, eg "Momitsu", "Limit", "Foern & Hirsch", and in Hong Kong, "VDigi". I bought one from Ebuyer.com a couple of months ago. It was great...until it stopped playing Blurays. If you read the AVforums, you'll see a lot of these go dead. It's essentially a lottery. When they work they work well (incl upscaling DVDs).

I got my dead Foern & Hirsch returned to Ebuyer, who gave me a full refund. Last week I bought the same player (branded "Maidston") in HMV, Oxford st, London. They had a load on sale for £59.99!

Why did I take a chance again? Well because like I said, the performance (when they don't die) is ace, and to get multi region DVD and BR for that price is ace. I wouldn't however have bought one from Ebay. With HMV (I asked the guy at checkout), if the player dies within 12months I can return it to ANY HMV store in the UK (with the receipt) for a refund/replacement. With Ebay, you might have to pay postage & may have a harder time getting refunded. So buyer beware.

Shaolin Chamber 36
You cannot punch a code in for the PS3, i think it has to be chipped which isnt easy.

By the way Shaolin Chamber when does your site go live again?

Thanks for the info. I knew it couldn't be that easy with the PS3.

SC36 I am hoping, and quite sure, that it will be back by August 1... just not sure what year yet. :wink:

JK. ... 2010, of course.

I would imagine you could go to DVDhelp.com and search on your player or your prospective player and see if there is a code for it.

It's how I helped my old man get his DVD player some years back.

Just a word of warning about these players. Essentially the same machine has been sold under different branding, eg "Momitsu", "Limit", "Foern & Hirsch", and in Hong Kong, "VDigi". I bought one from Ebuyer.com a couple of months ago. It was great...until it stopped playing Blurays. If you read the AVforums, you'll see a lot of these go dead. It's essentially a lottery. When they work they work well (incl upscaling DVDs).

I got my dead Foern & Hirsch returned to Ebuyer, who gave me a full refund. Last week I bought the same player (branded "Maidston") in HMV, Oxford st, London. They had a load on sale for £59.99!

Why did I take a chance again? Well because like I said, the performance (when they don't die) is ace, and to get multi region DVD and BR for that price is ace. I wouldn't however have bought one from Ebay. With HMV (I asked the guy at checkout), if the player dies within 12months I can return it to ANY HMV store in the UK (with the receipt) for a refund/replacement. With Ebay, you might have to pay postage & may have a harder time getting refunded. So buyer beware.

Thanks for the HMV tip, are they multi-region (blu-ray) out of the box? the HMV site doesn't state multi-region!

Cheers

Reel Power Stunts

The HMV ones need to be made multiregion by a simple number combination input by remote control. Full instructions are easily found by a google search. Beware - some folks are saying the latest firmware update gets rid of multicode Bluray (but not DVD).

The HMV ones need to be made multiregion by a simple number combination input by remote control. Full instructions are easily found by a google search. Beware - some folks are saying the latest firmware update gets rid of multicode Bluray (but not DVD).

Thanks for the info, I too read about the firmware update ruining the multi-region just after ordering it from HMV :(, I managed to cancel it before it was dispatched. Not worth taking the risk.

Reel Power Stunts

Last week, Thursday in HMV Oxford st (the one nearest Tottenham crt rd). They had a lot there for £59.99

Reel Power Stunts

Sorry to hear that. Keep an eye on the AV forums. So far, ppl have had bad experiences trying to change the Maidston firmware (messed up remote controls), but the AV forum contributors are pretty good at sharing fixes if they find them.

If you looked on AV forums today then the messed remote was me :) I got the original firmware from Maidston customer help and flashed it back to normal. I am going to ask them if they can supply me with an older one, a little cheeky but worth asking :tongue:

I'm trying to help my girl friend's dad in the US get a code free Blu Ray player and able to play region free DVDs suitable for use in the US. Recommended players and retailers would be most helpful, if anyone can help.

Sorry to ask such a random question, but it's my bday in 2 weeks ish and I think it's time for me to graduate to my first region free blu ray player. I'm missing out on so many DVDs, and the DVDs I may not miss out on, I am missing out on blu ray quality. The question is, can anyone reccomend a good quality player for 200 or below? I need nothing fancy.. No wifi, no blu tooth, nothing like that.. Strictly for my martial arts DVDs.. Only thing is I need blu ray and not just dvd.. I would prefer eBay or amazon because I feel you can find the best deals, but if anyone has any suggestions It would make for a great bday present. I know someone reccomend a specific one in a thread, but I forgot what thread. Thanks again guys!