Jump to content

Region Free Blu-ray Players


David Rees
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Member
2 hours ago, Stewart said:

Sorry it’s a little off topic, but I’m curious about this $50 region-free player. I was just about to pull the trigger on one that’s like three times that.

Did you check eBay? eBay has a few under $50 too.

all region dvd player | eBay

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Shaolin Patriot
13 hours ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I've always shopped at 220electronics.com for my all-region players. Now like I said, the $50 one was given to me as a gift several years ago. I only know how much it cost because I protested to my friend for spending so much and he replied "It was only $50. It's just a cheap one, but I didn't want you to be without one." Still a very generous gift!

Anyway, I just peeked at the site... looks like prices have increased significantly! :sad: The cheapest one I saw there was $134 (the player is $94, but they're always priced separately from the additional charge of $40 for the "All-Region option"), so @ShawAngela, @FightingFool, and @Stewart I'm sorry I misspoke/mislead and that they aren't cheaper. But I completely agree with @WaverBoy that it's still worth the investment.

Hey Bob, glad you brought this up!  I'm actually shopping around for my first all-region Blu-ray player.  Some reviews favor the LG BP165 Region Free Blu-ray DVD Player + PAL to NTSC converter (also advertised through 220 Electronics for $129 US).  I know the Oppo is considered the "Grandmaster" of the Blu-ray players, but as you say, way too expensive nowadays!

Do we have a consensus on what people here on the board think is the best? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
1 hour ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

Hey Bob, glad you brought this up!  I'm actually shopping around for my first all-region Blu-ray player.  Some reviews favor the LG BP165 Region Free Blu-ray DVD Player + PAL to NTSC converter (also advertised through 220 Electronics for $129 US).  I know the Oppo is considered the "Grandmaster" of the Blu-ray players, but as you say, way too expensive nowadays!

Do we have a consensus on what people here on the board think is the best? 

I bought a Sony off ebay for $115 a year ago that's served me well. It's not my main player and is only used to watch non Region A titles.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
11 hours ago, Shaolin Patriot said:

Hey Bob, glad you brought this up!  I'm actually shopping around for my first all-region Blu-ray player.  Some reviews favor the LG BP165 Region Free Blu-ray DVD Player + PAL to NTSC converter (also advertised through 220 Electronics for $129 US).  I know the Oppo is considered the "Grandmaster" of the Blu-ray players, but as you say, way too expensive nowadays!

Do we have a consensus on what people here on the board think is the best? 

I have 2 Region Free BD/DVD players: Sony BDP-S1700 & LG U870.

I checked the prices and there is very little price difference (less that $5) between when I bought mine 2017/2018 & now.

Also make sure to disable firmware updates as that can "kill" the region free status on some players (de[pending on what type of software/hardware coding you have).

I also got mine from 220-electronics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
FightingFool

Cheaper for us euro customers would be buy region A player+adapter. Still depending of country I have heard horror storied handling costs can be totally gross. I think Denmark is worst.220 electronics is one I was looking for but think if buy amazon.de is most comfortable route. No need to deal with customs/paperwork,

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
Super Ninja

I paid my region free player around 150€ and I consider that to be a fair price for what you're getting. A friend from the UK bought it for me and sent it.

I have a cheaper one that I got as a gift, the price was around 60€, but it looks and feels cheap, though it never failed me. As for the player itself, it's a must for any serious collector, I never regretted a single cent. 

Maybe a separate thread for multi region players? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
One Armed Boxer
13 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Maybe a separate thread for multi region players? 

FYI @WaverBoy@KUNG FU BOB@FightingFool@Stewart@venom10463@Shaolin Patriot@thekfc@Super Ninja@ShawAngela - All posts discussing Multi Region Blu-ray players in the Arrow thread have been re-located to this dedicated Multi Region Blu-ray thread for relevance. 

  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

I'm looking for the ultimate player.

The device should be able to play 4k UHDs, Blu-rays (Region A/B/C) and DVDs (Code 1-8).

Have already browsed the usual online retailers. But I'm a little unsure what to look out for. Apparently many of the devices are intended for the American market. With adapters, etc., the parts can obviously also be used by europeans, however, due to the different standards, compromises have to be made here?!

Just read some ratings for the Sony UBP-X700 on amazon. Some guy wrote the following:

"In principle, this is a well-functioning region-free version of the Sony UBP-X700, but the picture is only output with a frame rate of 24 Hz or 60 Hz, probably because this is an American model and the TVs sold in the USA mostly do not have a 50 Hz frame rate support. However, PAL DVDs (Germany, Europe and other areas) are recorded with 50Hz (interlaced) or 25Hz (progressive) and are unnecessarily converted to 60Hz by this model, which causes micro-stuttering during movements and may also make further image optimization of the television more difficult (image interpolation ).

The second problem is that 4:3/16:9 encoding doesn't seem to be translated properly on PAL DVD. I didn't manage to get the 4:3 picture of a German DVD to be output correctly, i.e. right/left with a border. Instead, the width was distorted to 16:9. However, this can possibly be remedied with settings on the television."

What experiences did you make with regionfree players. Which model should it be if it is to be used in Europe.

I'm grateful for any help.

 

Just saw this was my first post. :o

Thought I had already posted something in the past.

In any case, I have been following this wonderful forum with great interest for a long time.

... which I will continue to do in the future.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Yesterday I got my region free UHD/Blu-ray/DVD player. I chose the Panasonic DP-UB9000. I've never had
a device with such a quiet drive. It's almost inaudible.

All discs are playing fine. DVD code is selected automatically, Blu-ray region is selected via remote.

Bought it from https://www.tps.uk.com/. Their models are suitable for the European market. They provide a link for VAT-free order if needed.

Definitely recommended.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
4 hours ago, lastninja said:

Yesterday I got my region free UHD/Blu-ray/DVD player. I chose the Panasonic DP-UB9000. I've never had
a device with such a quiet drive. It's almost inaudible.

All discs are playing fine. DVD code is selected automatically, Blu-ray region is selected via remote.

Bought it from https://www.tps.uk.com/. Their models are suitable for the European market. They provide a link for VAT-free order if needed.

Definitely recommended.

I didn't see any customer service on your link, nor the link for the VAT- free order, but I guess ine muts place an order to see it. Do they accept paypal ?Are the adapters for the European market included in the package or poeple must add them to their order ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
AlexanderFu

If anyone is interested, I just bought this and it works well for me.  Does anyone else own this model and are you satisfied with it? (I guess you hve to click the image to see it better).

0 ivid.png

Edited by AlexanderFu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
1 hour ago, AlexanderFu said:

If anyone is interested, I just bought this and it works well for me.  Does anyone else own this model and are you satisfied with it? (I guess you hve to click the image to see it better).

0 ivid.png

That player is fine and will serve its purpose. My cousin has a similar off brand Chinese multi region blu ray player and it's a bit noisy in use but hasn't given him any issues so far.

What's your budget?  If you can, I would stretch my budget a little further and get a 4K UHD blu ray player. Even if you don't watch UHD discs, I would pay a couple hundred dollars more to get a region free Sony X700 or better yet a x800M2 than an off brand. The Sony has DV (Dolby Vision) & it makes a big difference in color & PQ. Even if your viewing device isn't DV compatible (like Samsung TVs, most front projectors/UST projectors) you can buy a device that can spoof the EDID to add DV support.

The Sony also has a very cool feature in that you can move the subtitle position onscreen (this is a rare feature on blu ray players - I believe only some Panasonics and the now discontinued Oppo players utilized). I use this all the time to move the subs especially if they overlap hardcoded or burnt in subs. Of course, if all you want is a multi region player, the player you listed will be fine for that purpose.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
20 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

That player is fine and will serve its purpose. My cousin has a similar off brand Chinese multi region blu ray player and it's a bit noisy in use but hasn't given him any issues so far.

What's your budget?  If you can, I would stretch my budget a little further and get a 4K UHD blu ray player. Even if you don't watch UHD discs, I would pay a couple hundred dollars more to get a region free Sony X700 or better yet a x800M2 than an off brand. The Sony has DV (Dolby Vision) & it makes a big difference in color & PQ. Even if your viewing device isn't DV compatible (like Samsung TVs, most front projectors/UST projectors) you can buy a device that can spoof the EDID to add DV support.

The Sony also has a very cool feature in that you can move the subtitle position onscreen (this is a rare feature on blu ray players - I believe only some Panasonics and the now discontinued Oppo players utilized). I use this all the time to move the subs especially if they overlap hardcoded or burnt in subs. Of course, if all you want is a multi region player, the player you listed will be fine for that purpose.

I use the Sony X700 multi-regional 4k UHD Blu ray Player of and it is a great player I have also added soft foam black pads underneath it to raise it slightly as this prevents any freezing or stopping of discs and allows more airflow honestly a great lightweight player never had problems playing any discs and that includes BD-Rs and DVD-R’s highly recommended too

Edited by Graysman
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
AlexanderFu
46 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

That player is fine and will serve its purpose. My cousin has a similar off brand Chinese multi region blu ray player and it's a bit noisy in use but hasn't given him any issues so far.

What's your budget?  If you can, I would stretch my budget a little further and get a 4K UHD blu ray player. Even if you don't watch UHD discs, I would pay a couple hundred dollars more to get a region free Sony X700 or better yet a x800M2 than an off brand. The Sony has DV (Dolby Vision) & it makes a big difference in color & PQ. Even if your viewing device isn't DV compatible (like Samsung TVs, most front projectors/UST projectors) you can buy a device that can spoof the EDID to add DV support.

The Sony also has a very cool feature in that you can move the subtitle position onscreen (this is a rare feature on blu ray players - I believe only some Panasonics and the now discontinued Oppo players utilized). I use this all the time to move the subs especially if they overlap hardcoded or burnt in subs. Of course, if all you want is a multi region player, the player you listed will be fine for that purpose.

That is a good idea, thank you. :cool:  Actually, I do have a Sony UHD player but It didn't play region B Blu-rays, so I got this also and put the Sony upstairs. Before B.R. was like it is now, I'd just use my computer drive to watch everything through my Onkyo, then to the Television. I don't even like touching discs, so all my movies and music (which it a lot of music!) is on hard drives. The problem for me with these new blu-rays is I cannot watch them with Windows Media Player Classic out the box, so I bought the 2 players. Got a good deal on the Sony - $75.00. I just keep this little ivid on region B. It's a trip how you need the USB drives to switch from region A to B, but so far no problems at all.

 

  I just looked and the Sony model I have is UBP-x700/M. We have P.C. Richards Electronics where I live and I'm close to their flagship store that holds all the good deals. This player was only missing the HDMI wire and the guy gave it to me for the $75. I got my Onkyo there many years ago and it works like a charm. I just wish the Sony played region B but all in all I feel pretty good about the equipment now. I only started buying the 88's. Arrow's and Eureka's because of the threads here! I got a nice little collection now.  :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
2 hours ago, Graysman said:

I use the Sony X700 multi-regional 4k UHD Blu ray Player of and it is a great player I have also added soft foam black pads underneath it to raise it slightly as this prevents any freezing or stopping of discs and allows more airflow honestly a great lightweight player never had problems playing any discs and that includes BD-Rs and DVD-R’s highly recommended too

I had an issue early on with the player freezing during playback & it required a power cycle to get it working again. It happened very infrequently and didn't matter if the player was in use for hours or just starting to play a disc but an OTA firmware update apparently fixed the issue as I had not any freeze ups since. Just to clarify, only the step up model, XM800 M2 has the subtitle position feature. the original XM800 didn't have it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
41 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

I had an issue early on with the player freezing during playback & it required a power cycle to get it working again. It happened very infrequently and didn't matter if the player was in use for hours or just starting to play a disc but an OTA firmware update apparently fixed the issue as I had not any freeze ups since. Just to clarify, only the step up model, XM800 M2 has the subtitle position feature. the original XM800 didn't have it.

It helps massively if you raise the player as this stops it heating up quickly I have had no problems whatsoever since doing this so I have applied the same tactics to all my 4k players 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Ive Got a Panasonic 820 multi region 4k player bought from TPS.co.uk ,excellent player

 

 

I also have that player and the Sony X800M2

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
On 7/16/2022 at 2:55 PM, ShawAngela said:

I didn't see any customer service on your link, nor the link for the VAT- free order, but I guess ine muts place an order to see it. Do they accept paypal ?Are the adapters for the European market included in the package or poeple must add them to their order ?

Got in contact via email provided on their homepage (answers@tps.uk.com). The link for the VAT-free order I got via email, also.

I paid with my credit card. When you look at "Terms and Conditions" they offer paypal payment, too. You have to get in contact for this.

No adapters needed, cause the players they offer are intended to play in europe.

  • Buddha Bless You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
On 11/21/2022 at 5:15 AM, legendarycurry said:

I only have a region locked ps4, only region B for me :(

You can watch all region blu rayq by using the Leawo blu ray player on your computer.

I was so happy when I finally was able to watch all the Cirterion blus of Jet Li's Once upon a time in China Collection thanks to this player !

However, something strange happened a few days ago : though I'm able to watch region A and region B blus with it, when I tried to watch  the 88 films blu of On the run and the Eureka blu of Vengeance of Fu Manchu, I couldn't watch  them and I had a message saying that they were enoded for region B only ! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
legendarycurry
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

 

You can watch all region blu rayq by using the Leawo blu ray player on your computer.

I was so happy when I finally was able to watch all the Cirterion blus of Jet Li's Once upon a time in China Collection thanks to this player !

However, something strange happened a few days ago : though I'm able to watch region A and region B blus with it, when I tried to watch  the 88 films blu of On the run and the Eureka blu of Vengeance of Fu Manchu, I couldn't watch  them and I had a message saying that they were enoded for region B only ! 

My computer doesn't have a disc reader :( . Some computer players are region free up until a certain number of uses (usually 4 or 5) after which it will region lock itself to the most recent region you used. this is also true of the ps4.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
8 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

My computer doesn't have a disc reader :( . Some computer players are region free up until a certain number of uses (usually 4 or 5) after which it will region lock itself to the most recent region you used. this is also true of the ps4.

You can use an external blu ray player connected to the computer, it's what I do, because I can't put discs in my computer anymore since I can't eject them if I do !

I understand better regarding the region, but it seems to me that i used both regions o the same number of times... My portable blu ray player (with a small screen) always plays jokes on me. There are freezing issues in my discs and when I try them again the day after or some days after, the disc play well ! That's how I had to watch On the run in two parts ! And I had the same problem for Vengeance of Fu Manchu today...

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

There's always ways around it. But it depends if you're willing to fork out cash for a decent make of a multi region blu. I would only trust decent companies like LG etc. None of the obscure Chinese branded machines with odd random English letters to make up a brand.

There's also the other option of having an external blu ray writer, ripping your films and burn them again to be all region. But it's a huge faff and time consuming. 

I'd opt for a multi region player. There's numerous good websites that list some of the best affordable multi region players.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use

Please Sign In or Sign Up