Region Free Blu-ray Players

David Rees

I can't remember how much I paid for mine. Wasn't in $USD anyway. Probably the best investment you'll get. As soon as I bought mine, I bought the US edition of Apocalypse Now because the region A was different to the region B. Not to mention I liked the cover art.

You'll be buying foreign regions left, right & centre.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Ive heard a lot of people saying great things about these ones: 

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players/shopby/4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray.html

Im currently saving up for one myself. 

Good choice. This is the best player with dolby vision for a normal price. Does a very good upscale with BluRay and DVD to 4K. Has settings for picture they are important because you can most of the time fix to dark remastered HDR UHD's to brighten up the picture a little without getting the dark parts grey. Sound if you have the option of a soundbar or surround system is very good too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kuenfist said:

Good choice. This is the best player with dolby vision for a normal price. Does a very good upscale with BluRay and DVD to 4K. Has settings for picture they are important because you can most of the time fix to dark remastered HDR UHD's to brighten up the picture a little without getting the dark parts grey. Sound if you have the option of a soundbar or surround system is very good too.

Thats good to know, thank you. Which one of them specifically are you talking about? The top one? 

15 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Thats good to know, thank you. Which one of them specifically are you talking about? The top one? 

Sony UBP-X700. And if money is no option you can take the Panasonic DP-UB820. This player has a very good upscale for BluRay and DVD ( my choice to watch PAL DVD's and old Shaw Brothers IVL DVD's on my big 4k TV ). Here the HDR and Dolby Vision performance is perfect. Both are very good UHD - Blu Ray players. Sony has advantage if you are playing files via HDD over USB too ( it does play most files !!!). But picture qualitiy wise the Panasonic is stunning.

Edited by kuenfist
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

15 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

I have an LG UBK90 4K Bluray player, and it's excellent. Plus cheaper in comparison to the other brands.

8 hours ago, DiP said:

I have an LG UBK90 4K Bluray player, and it's excellent. Plus cheaper in comparison to the other brands.

Where do you get it? And is it region free on both DVD and BD. Thats the most important thing for me, besides having the 4K option. 

Panasonic 420 is also a good option if you find 820 too expensive. It's essentially the exact same machine, but with cheaper build quality and no Dolby Vision support.

I can't claim to be an expert, but reading online comments the two Panasonic players seem a bit more reliable than the Sony and LG players when it comes to playing certain UHD discs. That being said, there are Sony and LG owners who have never had issues with any disc, and there are Panasonic owners who have had issues too. But it seems to me that less issues are reported with Panny than the others.

And just to clarify, all of these machines are region free only when you buy them from a retailer that has modified them region free. The models carried by ordinary retailer are always region locked.

• Like 2

Thanx for the info and input from all of you. It will definately be one in the <$400 range. I think I also read somewhere that the Sony ones freezes every now and then? 

Edited by JCLegend86

2 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Thanx for the info and input from all of you. It will definately be one in the <$400 range. I think I also read somewhere that the Sony ones freezes every now and then? 

I have both Panasonic and Sony i stopped the freezing on the Sony player by putting black sticky pads to the bottom this slightly raised the unit and allowed for better airflow which stopped the freezing 

• Like 2