The Once Upon a Time in China series

Secret Executioner

I assumed you watched Once Upon a Time in China IV on the newly released blu ray as for me it does make it even more enjoyable than the non remaster version shown on Amazon Prime. Totally agree with your assessment of the movie.

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

Yeah part IV is pretty good. No Jet li no Tsu Hark and no 13 Aunt, yet I still had. Good time. I could even see the visible wire work in some of the fight scenes  and the budget looks like 90s straight to video store quality but that’s ok. Still had a good time. Can’t wait to see what part V has to offer. 

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BLfan said:

I assumed you watched Once Upon a Time in China IV on the newly released blu ray as for me it does make it even more enjoyable than the non remaster version shown on Amazon Prime. Totally agree with your assessment of the movie.

Correct. The version I watched was from the recent Criterion box-set release. It looked gorgeous, though I agree with @OpiumKungFuCracker that these remasters make the wires a lot easier to see. A minor gripe.

• Like 3

Once Upon a Time in China V (1994) - Rewatching this after rewatching part 4 was very interesting. Tsui Hark is definitely the better director out of he and Yuen Bun. From a technical point of view, this is definitely the superior movie. The plot in this one feels a little flimsy though. It’s basically “Uh oh! Pirates!” and is obviously just a way of finding a unique enemy for Wong Fei Hung to tackle.

Speaking of Wong Fei Hung, I can’t help but feel Vincent Zhao is crazy underused here. The film feels like it’s more about his students than it is about the man himself. I think Club Foot has more action sequences. Not that I’m complaining or anything. The action on this one is bother superb and utterly chaotic. The hand to hand stuff isn’t frequent with Hark opting for big, flashy wire fu moves and, surprisingly, gun play (there feels like a heavy John Woo influence here).

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It’s bonkers but very, very entertaining.

• Like 2

Jay Stone

I’m so out of it with my Kung Foolery that I didn’t even know Criterion released these as a set! Time to go to Amazon lol

• Like 1