BLACK MASK- Special Edition Blu-ray from TVP

KUNG FU BOB

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Now that's some great looking cover art from our very own @KUNG FU BOB, looks like the rest of the release is up to the same high standard.

DZ2jbr0W0AApbIc.jpg:large

A waste of good artwork on such a terrible film.  How come they release junk like this over classics. Maybe tapping in to that boring superhero market that they think we can not get enough of .

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, robbie said:

A waste of good artwork on such a terrible film.  How come they release junk like this over classics. Maybe tapping in to that boring superhero market that they think we can not get enough of .

You're such a broken record. We get it, you don't like superhero movies. Contrary to your belief, about 99% of the world loves them. Hence the billions and billions of dollars (and other currency) they make.

As for Black Mask, a lot of people love it. Including me. It's a fantastic slice of 90's kung fu nostalgia. It's silly enough to make me smile and dark enough to keep me fully invested. The fights are super solid too. Sure...wire filled, erratically shot and sometimes overly dark but super solid, nonetheless.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

You're such a broken record. We get it, you don't like superhero movies. Contrary to your belief, about 99% of the world loves them. Hence the billions and billions of dollars (and other currency) they make.

I watched this before superhero films took  completely over and thought it was rubbish then .  99℅ of world do not love superhero films. . .Most people I know think they suck. They  have bigger age range  then 18 certificate action films.  They are mainly action films  for little kids,made not offend anyone . Can not be deemed racist as heroes and villains  come from different planets also girls , disabled people can be action stars too  due to having super powers .so u get your gender equality etc and maybe a nice moral message.. Boring

Edited by robbie

Drunken Monk

Um, forgive my new age way of thinking but isn’t it good that films aren’t racist and offer opportunities to disabled people? Not to mention equality to women. That’s to be applauded, isn’t it?

And sure, maybe 99% was a little severe but a MASSIVE amount of the world love superhero films, children and adults alike. I’m one of them. They offer remarkable spectacle and genuinely entertaining characters. Granted, there are a few duds here and there but most are massively entertaining.

”Black Mask” is very superhero-y. Just a little smaller in scale and budget. I think it’s a wonderful slice of comic book fun. It’s cheesy but that’s a part of its charm, I believe. But, then again, the wires don’t bother me in the slightest so I’m not in the same boat as you.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Um, forgive my new age way of thinking but isn’t it good that films aren’t racist and offer opportunities to disabled people? Not to mention equality to women. That’s to be applauded, isn’t it?

And sure, maybe 99% was a little severe but a MASSIVE amount of the world love superhero films, children and adults alike. I’m one of them. They offer remarkable spectacle and genuinely entertaining characters. Granted, there are a few duds here and there but most are massively entertaining.

They do not want to take a risk Most action films are superhero , or remakes. 

Back to black mask . Boring no fun at all. U always try to pigeonhole my view as hating a specific genre as my reason it can not be it is bad.

Edited by robbie

TibetanWhiteCrane

Dig Bob's art work, know the film has a following, but I can't stand it either. Actually, his last run of HK films in th 90's were pretty damn dire; Black Mask, Scripture With No Words, Once Upon a Time in China and America and Hitman. Not a fan.

• Like 4

I think Black Mask was probably the last good HK action film made before Hong Kong's handover to the Mainland.

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 12/6/2017 at 5:20 PM, saltysam said:

Will these releases be english-friendly? Is Challenge The Dragon the same movie that Code Red released? thanks

Hey @saltysam I'm sorry I missed your question before. Yes, it is the same film.

19 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Now that's some great looking cover art from our very own @KUNG FU BOB, looks like the rest of the release is up to the same high standard.

18 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Fantastic artwork, Bob! I honestly cannot wait to pick this up. Pre-ordering isn't up on Amazon.de yet. Where is the pre-order?

6 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Dig Bob's art work, know the film has a following, but I can't stand it either. Actually, his last run of HK films in th 90's were pretty damn dire; Black Mask, Scripture With No Words, Once Upon a Time in China and America and Hitman. Not a fan.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you dig the art.

I know opinions differ on the film, but I've always loved it, and I would've been excited for this release regardless of whether or not I got to do the cover. @TibetanWhiteCrane, other than BLACK MASK I agree that none of the films you mentioned are great (with DR. WAI especially being a mess), but I still enjoy the goofy charm of each of them. For me, BLACK MASK is a terrific example of Hong Kong cinema, and I really like the cast, story, sets, music, look, and action. At times moody, other times frenetic and hyper-violent, outrageous, and even funny. I've viewed it many times and I never tire of it. After watching the HK and then the Taiwanese DVDs for years, my only complaint would be the US release's hip hop soundtrack, which didn't work for me. Yet, I'll admit, it still had better than usual English dubbing. I'll always prefer to watch this subbed, but I'm still happy that the English soundtrack is included for those that want it.

@Doctor Schnabel von Rom and @Ronin hopefully the following will answer your earlier questions...

Here's all the details on the release:

Jet Li in BLACK MASK Blu-ray

- Release Date: April 30th, 2018

Available for Pre-order NOW at DTM: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=67786

The complete 4-Disc Limited Deluxe Edition package is exclusive to the First Edition which is Limited and Individually Numbered to 1111 pieces

Kung Fu star Jet Li in an action-laden Tsui Hark production under the direction of Daniel Lee - BLACK MASK is a comic-book superhero action film like no other. Rarely was Hong Kong cinema more explosive, dynamic and entertaining, especially thanks to the great work of Martial Arts Director Yuen Woo-Ping (THE MATRIX and KILL BILL).

4-Disc Limited Deluxe Edition:

- Wattirtes and Embossed Mediabook

- Featuring Original Cover Art by "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien

- Includes Semi-Slipcase

- 28-page Booklet with writing by Nando Rohner

- Mini Poster (A-4): Double-sided with HK Poster art & New Art by KFB O'Brien

- Contains 2 Blu-rays and 2 DVDs

- 4 Cuts of the film:

Hong Kong Version:
Running Time: 99 mins.
Audio: Cantonese DTS HD MA 5.1, German DD 2.0, German 5.1
Subtitles: English, German

International Version (USA version but with more violence intact):
Running Time: 86 mins.
Audio: English DTS HD MA 5.1, German 2.0, German 5.1
Subtitles: German

TVP's Version* (German Version with more nudity and violence) :
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: approx. 88 mins.
Audio: English DD 2.0, German DD 2.0
Subtitles: None

Extended Version* (Contains all footage from every version!!!):
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: 101 mins.
Audio: Cantonese 2.0, German 2.0

- Bonus: Original Trailers, TVP Trailer, "Making of" Feature, Alternative Credits, Music Video, Easter Egg

- Image Ratio: 1:78:1

- Region 0 (Plays in all Blu-ray players worldwide)

* This Version only on Blu-Ray

BLACK MASK Blu-ray with partial slipcover.jpg

BLACK MASK Blu-ray release & Extras.jpg

• Like 7

Drunken Monk

Oof, it's around $82 in total to get it to me. I'm trying to justify the purchase to myself as I already have the Hong Kong Blu Ray.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Oof, it's around $82 in total to get it to me. I'm trying to justify the purchase to myself as I already have the Hong Kong Blu Ray.

@KUNG FU BOB'S stupendously awesome artwork. (But yeah, $82 is steep, dude.)

• Like 2

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

1 minute ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

@KUNG FU BOB'S stupendously awesome artwork. (But yeah, $82 is steep, dude.)

Hahaha... thanks @ShaOW!linDude. :xd:

Ah... I just keep telling myself it's cheaper than collecting classic cars or fine art. :itwasntme

• Like 3

On 10/12/2017 at 10:26 AM, De Ming Li said:

Some other TVP releases planned for 2018 are:

The Cannibals aka The Black Guardly (1972)

Sun Dragaon aka A Hard Way to Die (1979)

The Golden Mask aka Golden Mask Killer (1977)

The Crippled Masters (1979)

Enter the Game of Death (1978)

Men of the Hour aka Black Hercules vs Yellow Tiger (1977)

I WANT :monk_chasing:THEM ALLLLLL !!!!!:monk_chasing:

I recently got the French dub dvd version of Crippled masters from bach film, but I guess that the blu-ray version will be better !

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

@KUNG FU BOB Do you know if it will end up on amazon.de?

Not sure. I'll check for you.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I WANT :monk_chasing:THEM ALLLLLL !!!!!:monk_chasing:

I recently got the French dub dvd version of Crippled masters from bach film, but I guess that the blu-ray version will be better !

Me too!

TVP will give it the royal treatment for sure @ShawAngela.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
22 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Is this the site that doesn't take credit card payments or Paypal?

I did a "mock" order and it looks like they take credit cards.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Is this the site that doesn't take credit card payments or Paypal?

They don't accept paypal, unless I'm totally mistaken...

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
6 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

What exactly is QPAY?

I think it's just a pay portal of some kind. A way of processing Visa and MasterCard payments, if you will. I think that's what it is, anyway.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:31 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Hey @saltysam I'm sorry I missed your question before. Yes, it is the same film.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you dig the art.

I know opinions differ on the film, but I've always loved it, and I would've been excited for this release regardless of whether or not I got to do the cover. @TibetanWhiteCrane, other than BLACK MASK I agree that none of the films you mentioned are great (with DR. WAI especially being a mess), but I still enjoy the goofy charm of each of them. For me, BLACK MASK is a terrific example of Hong Kong cinema, and I really like the cast, story, sets, music, look, and action. At times moody, other times frenetic and hyper-violent, outrageous, and even funny. I've viewed it many times and I never tire of it. After watching the HK and then the Taiwanese DVDs for years, my only complaint would be the US release's hip hop soundtrack, which didn't work for me. Yet, I'll admit, it still had better than usual English dubbing. I'll always prefer to watch this subbed, but I'm still happy that the English soundtrack is included for those that want it.

@Doctor Schnabel von Rom and @Ronin hopefully the following will answer your earlier questions...

Here's all the details on the release:

Jet Li in BLACK MASK Blu-ray

- Release Date: April 30th, 2018

Available for Pre-order NOW at DTM: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=67786

The complete 4-Disc Limited Deluxe Edition package is exclusive to the First Edition which is Limited and Individually Numbered to 1111 pieces

Kung Fu star Jet Li in an action-laden Tsui Hark production under the direction of Daniel Lee - BLACK MASK is a comic-book superhero action film like no other. Rarely was Hong Kong cinema more explosive, dynamic and entertaining, especially thanks to the great work of Martial Arts Director Yuen Woo-Ping (THE MATRIX and KILL BILL).

4-Disc Limited Deluxe Edition:

- Wattirtes and Embossed Mediabook

- Featuring Original Cover Art by "Kung Fu Bob" O'Brien

- Includes Semi-Slipcase

- 28-page Booklet with writing by Nando Rohner

- Mini Poster (A-4): Double-sided with HK Poster art & New Art by KFB O'Brien

- Contains 2 Blu-rays and 2 DVDs

- 4 Cuts of the film:

Hong Kong Version:
Running Time: 99 mins.
Audio: Cantonese DTS HD MA 5.1, German DD 2.0, German 5.1

International Version (USA version but with more violence intact):
Running Time: 86 mins.
Audio: English DTS HD MA 5.1, German 2.0, German 5.1
Subtitles: German

TVP's Version* (German Version with more nudity and violence) :
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: approx. 88 mins.
Audio: English DD 2.0, German DD 2.0
Subtitles: None

Extended Version* (Contains all footage from every version!!!):
(Contains SD inserts)
Running Time: 101 mins.
Audio: Cantonese 2.0, German 2.0

- Bonus: Original Trailers, TVP Trailer, "Making of" Feature, Alternative Credits, Music Video, Easter Egg

- Image Ratio: 1:78:1

- Region 0 (Plays in all Blu-ray players worldwide)

* This Version only on Blu-Ray

BLACK MASK Blu-ray with partial slipcover.jpg

BLACK MASK Blu-ray release & Extras.jpg

Awesome! Great art, of course! But, Bob, man, you need to do some art for some releases that I can afford. :smile The movie alone is around $43USD. I have no idea what shipping is, but, I am assuming probably at least $10? I really wish that I could support TVP here as I really like what they are doing and wish them nothing but success. Always quality with these releases. Though, too bad that extended cut doesn't get released by itself as that would be cool to have. Now, I wish that I wouldn't have bought Nova Media`s version. But, it never fails that if I wait until forever to pick up something, that a better version gets released soon thereafter. At the time, I never expected another release of this movie and thought that it would be my final version to purchase. I just need a better paying job so I can afford all these releases coming out on blu-ray. Certainly beats the situation from a few years back where nothing was getting released. I would rather miss out on a few releases than to have no releases at all. Someday I will own a blu-ray release with your artwork on it. 

ps - you should post this up on www.blu-ray.com as that is a great outlet to reach people regarding these releases.

Edited by reason108
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, reason108 said:

ps - you should post this up on www.blu-ray.com as that is a great outlet to reach people regarding these releases.

Completely agree with this....@KUNG FU BOB if you haven't done so already, the guys over on the Blu-ray forum would go ape for this kind of release.  Would recommend making a post about it here.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

Black Mask is fine for what it is but the fights are so haphazardly filmed and edited that it seems pointless for Yuen Woo-Ping to have been hired. They might as well have hired Ching Siu-Tung.

• Like 2