Joseph Kuo Films: Best Home Video Versions

dshooker

Hello all!

I've been on a Joseph Kuo kick lately. Having seen Mystery of Chessboxing & Seven Grand Masters many times, I've decided to look into the rest of his catalogue. Man, what a great body of work!

Thing is, as with a lot of kung-fu movies, it doesn't appear as though Kuo's films have been treated with the best quality releases (or restorations). I was curious if anyone either knew of quality home releases to keep an eye out for or if there were any upcoming restorations of Kuo's work.

Much thanks & praises.

• Like 4

This is a great question. To have a compiled list of all the best versions of Kuo films would be incredible. I will report back with some info. 

BTW, Mystery of Chess Boxing and 7 Grandmasters, both incredible films, 2 of my favorites. Born Invincible, The 18 Bronzemen, The Eight Masters are also great in my personal opinion. 

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

The best DVD of a Joseph Kuo title is the Media Blasters DVD of 7 Grandmasters, followed by IVL's Hong Kong DVD of his Shaw film The Mighty One, and the German DVD (which has English options) of World of Drunken Masters.

Mei Ah released some of his titles on DVD in the early days of the format. They are OAR, but poor video quality and rubbish subtitles.

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 3

Unbeaten 28 was released on dvd on the Eastern Heroes label. I think the only release of Born Invincible was the Xenon dvd.

• Like 3

I know there is a Widescreen version of Born Invincible in its original language out there, but I believe it was a "custom" and not an official release. You have any info on this topic @venom10463

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SMK said:

I know there is a Widescreen version of Born Invincible in its original language out there, but I believe it was a "custom" and not an official release. You have any info on this topic @venom10463

If there's a widescreen version floating around, I have yet to come across it. I do recall there's a full screen version with original language and embedded Chinese and English subtitles.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor

Born Invincible was on the MIA UK label, 4:3 as ever.

There is a decent looking widescreen German DVD of 8 Masters, but it's heavily cut.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, venom10463 said:

If there's a widescreen version floating around, I have yet to come across it. I do recall there's a full screen version with original language and embedded Chinese and English subtitles.

Maybe I got confused with the widescreen trailer then, and it was not the actual full movie that is out there. :sad

• Like 4

The addition the following would be a good watch:

Dragon's Claws ,The 36 Deadly Styles, Shaolin Temple Strikes Back, The Cavalier

• Like 4

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll definitely check them out in short order. 

Surprised no one has jumped to restore these films. Even if the elements aren't the best, getting them cleaned up and in widescreen would still be nice.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

First off, you need to watch his early output as well. I put the ones in bold that are especially fun.

The Swordsman of All Swordsmen (1968)    

Son of Swordsman (1969)    
    Superior Darter (1969)    
    King of Kings (1969)    
    The Seisure Soul Sword of a Blind Girl (1970)    
    Sorrowful to a Ghost (1970)    

The Five Devil Ghost (1971)    
    The Ghost's Sword(1971)    
    Mission Impossible (1971)    
    The Evil Karate (1971)    

The Matchless Conqueror (1971)    
    The Mighty One (1971)    

The Death Duel (1972)    
    Triangular Duel (1972)    
    Iron Man (1973)    
    Shaolin Kung Fu (1974)    
    Hero of Kwangtong (1974)
  • Like 5

Killer Meteor
4 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Also, I just did a custom of the remaster of 7 Grandmasters, should you want acquire it. Came out nice.

vlcsnap-2020-03-30-18h36m14s938.png

That looks even better than the DVD!

• Like 2

As recommandations, I would add Shaolin kung fu, Deadly fists of kung fu, Hero of Kwantung, Shaolin kids, Shaolin brothers, Shaolin temple strikes back and of course, the 18 bronzemen movies.

Sorrowful to a ghost has had an official  dvd release, as well as Shaolin kung fu, Shaolin kids, Shaolin brothers and, but you know that, the 18 bronzemen movies, as well as Triangular duel.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

18 Bronzemen japanese blu ray, not english-friendly though, there is a custom with english subtitles out there

I did a custom of those as well, 1 & 2 

• Like 2

I believe these are the best circulating versions for these titles. Let me know if you know of a better version, or if there is another version such as longer edit or better quality print:

Born Invincible (1978)                    custom dvd-r
Cavalier, The (1978)                      mei ah dvd
Chinese Iron Man (1973)                   mei ah dvd
Deadly Fists Kung Fu (1974)               teleitalia vhs rip dvd-r
Death Duel, The (1972)                    jamal custom dvd-r
18 Bronzemen (1976) original edit         mia dvd
18 Bronzemen (1976) re-edit               nkffu custom mkv
Five Devil Ghost, The (1971)              jamal custom dvd-r
Hero of Kwangtong (1974)                  flk dvd-r
Immortal Warriors (1979)                  flk dvd-r
King of Kings (1969)                      fusian dvd
Matchless Conqueror, The (1971)           jamal custom dvd-r
Mighty One (1971)                         ivl dvd
Mission Impossible (1971)                 creative ziieagle rip dvd-r
Mystery of Chess Boxing, The (1979)       jamal custom dvd-r
Old Master, The (1979)                    mei ah dvd
Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976)         nkffu custom mkv
Rikisha Kuri (1974)                       jamal custom dvd-r
Seisure Soul Sword of a Blind Girl (1971) jamal custom dvd-r
7 Grandmasters (1978)                     nkffu custom mkv
Shaolin Brothers, The (1977)              mei ah dvd
Shaolin Kids, The (1977)                  nkffu custom mkv
Son of Swordsman (1969)                   crashmasters dvd
Sorrowful to a Ghost (1970)               mei ah dvd
Superior Darter (1969)                    jamal custom dvd-r
Swordsman of All Swordsmen (1968)         kuenfist custom mei ah dvd-r
36 Deadly Styles, The (1979)              filifeenix custom mei ah dvd-r
Triangular Duel (1972)                    mei ah dvd
Unbeaten 28, The (1980)                   mia dvd
V.I.P. (1977)                             jamal custom dvd-r

These I'm not sure yet:

Blazing Temple, The (1976)
Dragon's Claws (1979)
8 Masters (1977)
Evil Karate, The (1971)
Fearless Duo, The (1978)
Ghost's Sword, The (1971)
Shaolin Kung Fu (1974)
Shaolin Temple Strikes Back (1981)
World of the Drunken Master (1979)

Sources:

Title                                     For Label          Scr  Mi Enc  Mode  Lang            Subs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Swordsman of All Swordsmen (1968)         dvd kuenfist       wide 85 ntsc       man/eng         eng-s
                                          dvd hoker          wide 85 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          vhs avo film            80 pal        ita             none
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Son of Swordsman (1969)                   dvd crashmasters   wide 95 ntsc       man             eng-s
Superior Darter (1969)                    dvd jamal          full 95 ntsc       man             eng-s
                                          dvd hoker          full 95 ntsc       man             chi-s
King of Kings (1969)                      dvd fusian         wide 97 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
Sorrowful to a Ghost (1970)               dvd mei ah         full 90 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          vcd mei ah         full    ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs videovillage   full 86 pal        man             eng/chi-h
Mission Impossible (1971)                 dvd ziieagle       wide               man             eng-h
                                          vhs                full               man             eng/chi-h
Mighty One (1971)                         dvd ivl            wide 84 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
Seisure Soul Sword of a Blind Girl (1971) dvd jamal          full               man             eng/chi-h
Matchless Conqueror, The (1971)           dvd jamal          full               man             eng/chi-h
Five Devil Ghost, The (1971)              dvd jamal          full               man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs videovillage   full 85 pal        man             eng/chi-h
Ghost's Sword, The (1971)                 dvd jamal          full               man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs videovillage   full 87 pal        man             eng/chi-h
Evil Karate, The (1971)                   vcd universal      wide 91 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd flk            wide 95 ntsc       man             eng-s
                                          vcd kyushu         full               man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs                wide 90 pal        man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs (korea)
Death Duel, The (1972)                    dvd jamal          wide 90 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd ventura        full 90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd fareastflix    full 91 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs unicorn        full               eng             none
Triangular Duel (1972)                    dvd mei ah         wide 98 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
Chinese Iron Man (1973)                   dvd mei ah         wide 90 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
Rikisha Kuri (1974)                       dvd jamal          wide               man             eng/chi-h
                                          vcd                wide               man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd videoasia      full 98 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs videovillage   full 88 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs unicorn        full 98 ntsc       eng             none
Deadly Fists Kung Fu (1974)               vhs teleitalia     wide 84 pal        ita             none
Shaolin Kung Fu (1974)                    dvd new            wide 88 pal        man/eng/ger     eng/ger-s
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 92 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mia            wide 92 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs cmv            wide 79 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs futura         wide 79 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs jvc            wide 79 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs vmp            wide 79 pal        ger             none
Hero of Kwangtong (1974)                  dvd flk            wide 89 ntsc       man/eng         eng-s
                                          vhs vmp            wide 85 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs cmv                 84 pal        ger             none
18 Bronzemen (1976)                       mkv nkffu          wide 95      1080p man             eng-s , chi-h
                                          blu custom         wide 95      1080p man/jap         eng/chi/jap-s
                                          blu orustak        wide 95      1080p man/jap         jap-s
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 96 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mia                 98 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd koch           wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          dvd koch                92 pal        man             ger-s
                                          dvd king records   wide 95 ntsc                       jap-s
                                          dvd black mirror   full 97 pal        eng/hun         hun-s
                                          vhs mia                 97 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs gz-lion             90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs china power    full 93 pal        eng             dut-h
                                          vhs interglobal    full 90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs tai seng               ntsc
                                          vhs atlas          wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs beta/united    wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs bild as        wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs ihv            wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs ocean          wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs vmp            wide 76 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs                full 93 pal        man             eng/chi-h
Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976)         mkv nkffu          wide         1080p man             eng-s , chi-h
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 93 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mei ah cust    wide 93 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd mia            wide 94 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd koch           wide 84 pal        ger             none
                                          dvd koch           wide 90 pal        man             ger-s
                                          vhs gz-lion                ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs                full    pal        eng             none
                                          vhs china power    full 89 pal        eng             dut-h
                                          vhs atlas          wide 87 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs bild as        wide 81 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs beta/united    wide 85 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs ihv            wide 85 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs ocean          wide 85 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs video direkt   wide 81 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs vmp            wide 83 pal        ger             none
Blazing Temple, The (1976)                dvd mei ah         wide    ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd eyecatcher     wide 84 pal        man/eng/ger     ger-s
                                          dvd paragon        wide 84 pal        ger             none
                                          dvd crash cinema   wide 88 ntsc       eng             ?
                                          vcd mei ah         wide    ntsc       man/eng         eng/chi-h
                                          vhs toppic         full 73 pal        ger             none
V.I.P. (1977)                             dvd jamal          ?                  ?               ?
                                          vhs (hk)           full 87 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
Shaolin Kids, The (1977)                  mkv nkffu          wide         1080p man             eng-s , chi-h
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 91 ntsc       man             eng/chi-?
                                          vcd mei ah         wide    ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs                full 90 pal        eng             none
8 Masters (1977)                          dvd new            wide 93 pal        man/eng/ger     ger-s
                                          dvd new            wide 78 pal        man/eng/ger     ger-s
                                          dvd mig            wide 78 pal        man/eng/ger     ger-s
                                          dvd                wide 92 pal        man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd crash cinema   full 93 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd hollywood      full 92 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd paragon        wide 78 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs crash cinema        78 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs gz-lion             78 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs atlantis       wide 93 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs turbophase     full 89 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs china power    full 92 pal        eng             dut-h
Shaolin Brothers, The (1977)              dvd mei ah         wide 88 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          vcd mei ah         wide    ntsc       man             chi- h
                                          dvd mia            wide 88 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd videoasia      wide 88 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs                        pal        eng             none
                                          vhs rarescope                         eng             none
                                          vhs ocean shores           ntsc
Fearless Duo, The (1978)                  dvd flk            wide 93 ntsc       man/eng         eng-s
                                          dvd jamal          wide               eng             none
                                          vhs                                   eng             por-h
Cavalier, The (1978)                      dvd mei ah         wide 92 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mia            wide 92 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs xenon          full    ntsc       eng             none
Born Invincible (1978)                    dvd custom         full               man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd mia            full 83 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd xenon          full 84 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd videoasia      full    ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs                full 83 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs xenon arena    full    ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs xenon          full 60 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs china power    full 84 pal        eng             dut-h
                                          vha mia            full    pal        eng             none
                                          vhs videovillage   full    ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs rainbow        full
                                          vhs                full 81 pal        can             eng/chi-h
7 Grandmasters (1978)                     mkv nkffu          wide         1080p man             eng-s , chi-h
                                          dvd tokyo shock    wide 90 ntsc       man/eng         eng/spa-s
                                          dvd eastern heroes      89 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd fip            full 74 pal        fre             none
                                          vhs xenon arena    full 89 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
Mystery of Chess Boxing, The (1979)       dvd jamal          wide               can/eng         eng/chi-h
                                          dvd bootleg        wide               can             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd dragon         full 88 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd tai seng       full 90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd xenon          full 88 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs eastern heroes full               eng             none
                                          vhs brooklyn video full 87 pal        eng             dut-h
                                          vhs ocean shores           ntsc
Dragon's Claws (1979)                     dvd thuglife       wide               can/eng         eng-s
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 91 ntsc       can/man         eng/chi-?
                                          dvd mia            full 87 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd xenon          full 90 ntsc       eng             none
36 Deadly Styles, The (1979)              dvd mei ah cust    wide 92 ntsc       man/eng         eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 92 ntsc       man             eng/chi-s
                                          dvd vengeance      wide 88 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd mig            wide 89 pal        ger             none
                                          dvd mib            wide 91 pal        ger             none
                                          vcd mei ah         wide 92 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs toppic         wide 91 pal        ger             none
                                          vhs xenon arena         90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs                     88
World of the Drunken Master (1979)        dvd cargo          wide 98 pal        can/man/eng/ger none
                                          dvd schröder       wide    pal        ger             none
                                          dvd mei ah         wide 88 ntsc       can/man         eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mig            wide 85 pal        can/man/eng/ger eng/chi-s
                                          dvd mia            wide    pal
                                          dvd ground zero    ?       ntsc       can             eng-?
                                          vhs toppic         wide 84 pal        ger             none
Old Master, The (1979)                    dvd mei ah         wide 88 ntsc       can/man         eng/chi-s
                                          vcd mei ah         wide    ntsc       can/man         eng/chi-h
                                          dvd mia            wide 88 pal        eng             none
                                          dvd videoasia      wide 88 ntsc       eng             none
Immortal Warriors (1979)                  dvd flk            full 93 ntsc       man             eng/chi-h
                                          vhs ?              full               man             eng/chi-h
Unbeaten 28, The (1980)                   dvd ground zero    full    ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd mia            full 85 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs mpi            full 85 ntsc       eng             none
                                          vhs                full 75 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs (korea)        full               man             eng/kor-h
Shaolin Temple Strikes Back (1981)        vcd zhejiang       full 90 pal        man             eng/chi-h
                                          dvd ground zero    full 90 ntsc       eng             none
                                          dvd vengeance      full 86 pal        eng             none
                                          vhs xenon arena    full 90 ntsc       eng             none

Edited by panku
  • Like 8
  • Buddha Bless You 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Eighteen Bronzemen, Return of the Eighteen Bronzemen and Shaolin Kids are all subbed by me and widescreen 1080p.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Eighteen Bronzemen, Return of the Eighteen Bronzemen and Shaolin Kids are all subbed by me and widescreen 1080p.

Thanks, added!

• Like 5

@panku, here are more informations :

The Hoker dvd of Superior darter doesn't have English subtitles

It seems to me that Jamal did a custom for Fearless duo ; at least, FLK has it remastered with Chinese and English subtitles : https://www.flkcinema.com/search.php?SCType=RealFilm&search=fearless+duo

The old master has had a dvd and vcd release by Mei Ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-old-master/1002524128-0-0-0-en/info.html

Immortal warriors must have had at least a VHS release, since a got a dvdrip of it years ago, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm unable to tell you if it was English subbed or not.

The cavalier has had a dvd release from Mei ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-smart-cavalier/1001820303-0-0-0-en/info.html

The shaolin brothers has had a vcd and a dvd release from Mei Ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-shaolin-brothers-dvd-hong-kong-version/1001827130-0-0-0-en/info.html

It also seems to me that Jamal did a project for VIP, as well as Ghost's sword.

It seems to me that there is a German dvd of Rikisha Kuri, but I'm not sure.

I'm not able either to tell you about the aspect ratio of the movies I mention, sorry.

I discover with your list that there has been a VHS of Mission impossible and a vcd of Evil karate, that's good to know, even if they aren't available anymore...

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

@panku, here are more informations :

The Hoker dvd of Superior darter doesn't have English subtitles

It seems to me that Jamal did a custom for Fearless duo ; at least, FLK has it remastered with Chinese and English subtitles : https://www.flkcinema.com/search.php?SCType=RealFilm&search=fearless+duo

The old master has had a dvd and vcd release by Mei Ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-old-master/1002524128-0-0-0-en/info.html

Immortal warriors must have had at least a VHS release, since a got a dvdrip of it years ago, if I'm not mistaken, but I'm unable to tell you if it was English subbed or not.

The cavalier has had a dvd release from Mei ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-smart-cavalier/1001820303-0-0-0-en/info.html

The shaolin brothers has had a vcd and a dvd release from Mei Ah : https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-shaolin-brothers-dvd-hong-kong-version/1001827130-0-0-0-en/info.html

It also seems to me that Jamal did a project for VIP, as well as Ghost's sword.

It seems to me that there is a German dvd of Rikisha Kuri, but I'm not sure.

I'm not able either to tell you about the aspect ratio of the movies I mention, sorry.

I discover with your list that there has been a VHS of Mission impossible and a vcd of Evil karate, that's good to know, even if they aren't available anymore...

Thanks for your help! I have added all these and some more. Could not find the German DVD of Rikisha Kuri. Far from complete, but we will work on it.

Do you remember if the Hoker of Superior Darter has the Chinese subs burned in or removable?

• Like 5