What is the last non martial arts Asian movie you've watched?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Dreams Of Eroticism. A group of top Shaw directors banded together and managed to get Shirley Yu, Terry Liu, Yang Pan Pan and other Shaw starlets to bare all for the cameras in episodic flick. I am talking frontal nudity.

Guest Delightful Forest

Just watched Gossip Street. A 70s Canto farce ... brought on a few laughts but I will not be spinning this one again in a long while.

ShawAngela

I thought that maybe it would be interesting to have this kind of thread, but if it's not welcome, someone can remove it.

So, I begin with a 1965 restored Taiwanese movie with English subtitles called Six suspects in which play some of your familiar actors when they were young : Wai Wang (cast as Wu Dong Ru), Li Min Lang, Tien Ming, Chang Ching Ching, and Yi Yuan playing a inspector investigating a murder case.

Nice little movie.

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard

I actually cant remember but this thread does remind me I need to stop putting off "Parasite" and finally sit down and watch it.

• Like 2

Hard boiled,Chow Yun Fats best and Train to Busan great Zombie film with very little gore.👍

• Like 2

whitesnake

Does The Farewell (2019) count, since most of the cast is Asian?  Anyway, what a great performance by Awkwafina!

• Like 2

Her Fatal Ways: A nice comedy inspired by Danko, to play on the stereotypes between Hong Kong people and Chinese. Some language games can be lost with subtitles, but it is understood well. It's nothing special, but it's a very famous comedy. Vote: 7/10

Final Justice: I had never seen it. He has several stereotypes of the American detective stories, with witnesses to protect and Danny Li who always does the usual role of the policeman who does not listen to orders, but it is worth seeing him as one of the first interpretations of Stephen Chow Vote: 6/10

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

I saw (wrote about it a bit in another thread): A Brighter Summer Day (1991: Edward Yang: Taiwan).  Anyone seen this or any other Edward Yang film?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I saw (wrote about it a bit in another thread): A Brighter Summer Day (1991: Edward Yang: Taiwan).  Anyone seen this or any other Edward Yang film?

I've been meaning to watch this for quite a while now, but it's hard to set aside 4 hours to do so.

I did however watch Taipei Story maybe around 2 weeks ago which I absolutely loved. Loyalty to a fault, betrayal with a smile, loneliness in a densely populated city. I feel like I want to watch it again before writing more about it since there's so much to unpack.

I've also watched Mahjong without subtitles (and my Chinese understanding is unfortunately not that good) so I can't comment too much on that. The Terrorizers is pretty amazing too with an interesting structure, the audience unable to tell what's real and what's not and characters that change their shade of grey throughout. It's been a few years since watching this one though, but it as with the other Taiwanese new wave films I've seen, absolutely hyponotising.

• Like 3

The Yellow Sea: Like many South Korean films that are baked in huge quantities, many often have a problem: the exasperation of the scenes, men who come out of bloody struggles, jump into the void, falls, liters of blood lost and are always alive. They also last too long. This film to these problems. Many pretend not to see them and because they are all films shot very well and full of violent scenes that are "always cool", but it is not enough to make a good film. Vote:6.5/10

New World: This however is very nice. Resumes the lesson of Fukasaku, Election of Johnnie To and also joins Infernal Affairs and a very interesting film comes out. The first part can be misleading (I fell for it) it might seem like a conventional film that has little to say. When the script begins to do its job, then everything becomes epic. The actors are very good and every scene of violence (few) are justified (and not like in other films like the one above that are added one after the other to make everything more incredible, being a little ridiculous). Vote:8/10

• Like 2

Wrong love 1960 : A really poignant movie, in which the beautiful Chang Mei Yao, only 19 years old in this movie (I had almost didn't recognize her !) does a very good job.

Looking at hkmdb, I just saw that she died in 2012 and I wasn't aware of her passing.

Though she played in some wuxias or spy movies, I don't remember to have ever seen her fighting, and I think that she was more skilled in dramatic roles.

• Like 2

May 13th, the nigh of sorrow 1965 : Another poignant movie, but less dramatic than the previous one, with "our" Chang Ching Ching only 18 years old here, playing a singer. It was very strange to see her in another role than her usual fighting heroines character, but she did a good job in this movie.

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

Long arm of the law :it is a very interesting film. shot very well and with fairly explicit violence. The "light" tone is very interesting but which then leads to unscrupulous violence. The main characters seem funny but in reality they are motherfuckers. I have never seen the two sequels, I think I will. Vote:7.5/10

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Matango (1963: Ishirô Honda: Japan) : I had just watched this after years of having people telling me that this is an un-denied cult classic.  I had trouble getting into it.  I understand the slow-burn aspect of it, but just really found it an OK film.  Not that fond of rear projection (not that good here).  The make-up was fine.  Did not get into the characters that much.  The ending was too didactic (you did not have to tell us the how allegory of the film). I felt underwhelmed.  Maybe because I thought it was going to be weirder or more going on or something.  I just did not connect with it.

• Like 2

Trivisa: beautiful, melancholy, a decadent portrait of the underworld before and after the handover. It has very little action and the three situations that are described are not always easy .to understand, but the sense of loss and decay are fascinating. It is a bit underestimated. 7.5/10

Sparrow: a disengaged comedy. A romantic tale where To has fun with some themes of his cinema. The Milkyway is always great at representing Hong Kong and its macrocosm. Only To could make such a thin but personal story so effectively that in the hands of other directors it would have become nonsense. 7/10

• Like 2

Farz aka Super agent 116

I just watched this 2h37mn and a few seconds (!!) Indian movie.

There is all in it : spies, songs and dances à la Bollywood in such strange places like waterfalls or mountains, an ending à la James Bond in which the hero alone defeats a bunch of bandits in their hideout, action (some fights as there must be in such spies movies), twists in the plot and a very 60's look (I don't remember the year of the movie, but it's around the 60's or the 70's).

• Like 2

Aorm Aok Jao Praya : I finally decide to watch this movie...2h38 of running time !!

There are two short fights in it, none of them involving "our" Chin Feng, but it's mainly a love story.

Very beautiful songs and sceneries.

• Like 3

Hui Lu : I got this mini movie (only 40 mn of running time !!) under the English title Loop and I bought it because of Lily Li.

It's a touching family story and it was strange to see Lily Li as a mother without any fight in the movie...

• Like 3

I started watching the PRC giant animal film Mega Crocodile last night. I turned it off after five minutes. It displayed the same lack of art that defines so many SyFy and Asylum movies: questionable CGI, showing the monster in the first few minutes, a complete disregard for the art of suspense, no attempt at establishing the very least of character types before the carnage begins. Perhaps it gets better as it goes along. I doubt it, though.

• Like 3

My gf and I just finished watching the K-drama, Flower of Evil. I'm not as much of a K-drama nut as she is but I admit that I enjoyed it quite a bit except the lackluster final ep. The 16 episode series was well written and wasn't bogged down with filler and deus ex machina plot lines. Lee Jun-ki really stood out and carried this one for the most part but all the actors were solid too.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2020 at 5:32 AM, Yihetuan said:

My gf and I just finished watching the K-drama, Flower of Evil. I'm not as much of a K-drama nut as she is but I admit that I enjoyed it quite a bit except the lackluster final ep. The 16 episode series was well written and wasn't bogged down with filler and deus ex machina plot lines. Lee Jun-ki really stood out and carried this one for the most part but all the actors were solid too.

This looks good !

• Like 3

I have the two disc dvd set from BCI's Eastern Horror series that had Robo Vampire and Devil's Dynamite packaged together. Robo Vampire is the superior film of the two but that's like choosing between the stench of Durian fruit and rotten eggs. I believe there is a third film from Godfrey that features the same recycled footage of hopping vampires and cyborg titled Counter Destroyer which involves some Western women writing a screenplay about an  ancient Chinese emperor and somehow they manage to summon evil spirits. I only caught bits and parts of it but it was also released in a double pack dvd by BCI.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

Zombiology:Enjoy yourself Tonight. 

Avoid. Almost 2 hours long, and unless there are a bunch of funny lines that are in Cantonese and you are a native, this movie is a dreary mess. There's a reason Stephen Chau and MIchael Hui were able to have international success where others have failed in the comedy department. 

• Like 4

May the Devil Take You Too (2020) - The first one was a Netflix original and pretty much a waste of your time, but this sequel, now a Shudder original, is possibly one of the best Indonesian horrors I've seen, and easily tops any Joko Anwar movie I can think of, at least in my book. By now it's clear that Timo Tjahjanto has a thing for all thing demonic and occult, possibly with horny creatures from hell included, so if you've seen the Safe Haven segment in V/H/S/2 (2013), you'll pretty much be on a familiar turf here. This time it's about orphaned kids that have set their caretaker on fire, and now, in their teens, he's back to haunt them and offer their souls to the horny demon called Moloch. Brutal, atmospheric and obviously influenced by the work of the great Sam Raimi, Too delivers more violence and more bloody action, which is exactly what the first movie was missing if you ask me. So if demonic spirits, curses, black bibles, electrocution, possession and eternal damnation are your thing, you're in for a treat here. All the more because Shareefa Daanish is back, the star of Mo brothers' phenomenal bloodbath Macabre (2009), and I just find her much more interesting than Chelsea Islan.

In case anyone's interested, Timo and Kimo obviously decided to try their luck with solo projects, so while Timo was busy with this duology, Kimo directed a remake of Queen of Black Magic (1981) titled, you'll never guess it, The Queen of Black Magic (2019) and a video game adaptation DreadOut (2019).

dxxbSxxLfkbiWNiqDB5Y2Jb5vVj.jpg.b478e20f7148fb92984ee9724f66b242.jpg

• Like 4