2021 Pro Wrestling Thread (WWE/AEW/Impact/NJPW/Indies)

AlbertV

Well, I know it's almost the end of February, but it's time to start the 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread:

• Paul Wight, fka The Big Show, has left WWE and he signed a multi-year contract with All Elite Wrestling
    “It’s been amazing to watch what AEW has built in just a couple of years, AEW Dark is an incredible platform to hone the skills of up-and-coming wrestlers, but I also love that established AEW talent can build out their personalities and showcase themselves in new ways on Dark. It’s no exaggeration when they say that AEW is boundless.”
  • John Hennigan/Morrison's wife Taya Valkyrie has joined the WWE Performance Center, along with powerlifter Jennifer Iglesias, former college wrestler Drew Kasper, and indie wrestler Avery Taylor. Valkyrie has signed with WWE and will go to NXT. Japanese wrestler Saree also finally joined the WWEPC after she signed last year but was delayed due to COVID.
  • Former WWE star Tyler Reks has transitioned and is now known as Gabbi Tufts.
  • Rhea Ripley will be joining the WWE Main Roster for the RAW Brand.
  • AEW star Anna Jay will be out 6-12 months with a major shoulder injury that will require surgery. 
  • NJPW star Hiromu Takahashi will be out 6 months due to a pectoral injury.
  • It will be Edge vs. Roman Reigns for the Universal Championship at WrestleMania XXXVII
  • Mark Callaway, the former Undertaker, said if Dwayne Johnson seriously considers a U.S. Presidential run in 2024, he would gladly endorse him, calling Johnson a "uniter" of the U.S.
Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

I figure Paul Wight will be there to put others over and do commentary.

Also the WWE network will be exclusively on Peacock starting in April with WrestleMania, hope it's a smooth transition.

Looking forward to see if they'll give Lashley the WWE title next week on Raw and have him face Drew at Mania.

I see Roman retaining the title at WrestleMania and holding it until Summerslam.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 2/24/2021 at 9:48 AM, AlbertV said:

Well, I know it's almost the end of February, but it's time to start the 2021 Pro Wrestling Thread:

Last year was a bit of blackhole for Pro-Wrestling, there wasn't that much to really post about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

@AlbertV, whats your opinion on the NWA, since Billy Corgan took over the promotion?.

It was quite unexpected but it's had its hits and misses. I would say a middle of the road thing. I need to watch more NWA to catch up on it. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, AlbertV said:

It was quite unexpected but it's had its hits and misses. I would say a middle of the road thing.

They slowly builing momentum pre Covid, their Ten Pounds of Gold series was really good.

9 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I need to watch more NWA to catch up on it. 

Reccomend watching more of their content, one of my favourite Wrestling companies at the moment. I don't have enough time to follow all the different promotions these days.

• Like 2

HyperDrive

Jon Moxley defeated Kenta and retained the IWGP US Heavyweight title at New Beginning USA. El Desperado became the new IWGP Jr. Heavyweight champion after defeating Bushi and El Phantasmo in a three-way match. 

• Like 2

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

Eric Bischoff, Molly Holly, and Kane have been inducted to the 2021 WWE Hall of Fame. The ceremony, due to air on April 6, will also include the 2020 class (nWo, Nikki and Brie Bella, JBL, The British Bulldog, and Jushin "Thunder" Liger). Mark Callaway surprised Kane with the news and he started tearing up. See the video below.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

SunChien

Wrestlemania Night 1 was pretty good, Night 2 outside of the main event not so much.

Monday Night Raw the night after was largely forgettable.

Surprised WWE released Samoa Joe, I figured he'd be there for a long time, the others like Tucker not too surprised there.

• Like 2

AlbertV

After RETRIBUTION seemed to have disbanded, Mace and T-Bar were unmasked courtesy of Braun Strowman and Drew McIntyre

Charlotte Flair has been indefinitely suspended and fined $100,000 after attacking a referee after her match with Asuka was thwarted by Rhea Ripley.

• Like 2

HyperDrive

NJPW Wrestling Dontaku

• ZSJ defeated Tanga Loa (Night 1)
  • Taichi defeated Tama Tonga in a ladder match to reclaim the iron fingers weapon that was stolen from him. (Night 1)
  • Jay White defeated Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the Never Openweight title. (Night 1)
  • Night 2's IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title match between El Desperado and Yoh was cancelled due to them both testing positive for Covid.
  • Will Ospreay defeated Shingo Takagi to retain the IWGP World Heavyweight title in the second ever defense of the title after Kota Ibushi unified the IWGP Heavyweight and IWGP Intercontinental titles into one. (Night 2)
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

Did anyone else see Chris Jericho's rather laughable "bump" during the Blood & Guts match on AEW Dynamite? He was tossed off the top of a cage and hilariously landed on what looked like the world's comfiest crash mats.

• Like 2

HyperDrive

Here's a tip from Jushin Thunder Liger on how to fight Godzilla.

• Like 2

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

WWE has released the following superstars today:

• Braun Strowman
  • Aleister Black
  • Lana
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Ruby Riott
  • Santana Garrett

https://nypost.com/2021/06/02/wwe-releases-braun-strowman-aleister-black-in-shocking-move/

And Eva Marie is set to return soon to WWE circles. She took a break to focus on other things, including acting. I interviewed her last year for her appearance in Hard Kill opposite Bruce Willis and Jesse Metcalfe. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk
2 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

WWE has released the following superstars today:

• Braun Strowman
  • Aleister Black
  • Lana
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Ruby Riott
  • Santana Garrett

https://nypost.com/2021/06/02/wwe-releases-braun-strowman-aleister-black-in-shocking-move/

It's a travesty how they treated Aleister Black. He was by far one of the best wrestlers when he was at NXT. He's had so many memorable matches. I have my fingers crossed that he'll make his way over to AEW where they'll use him properly. 

• Like 3

AlbertV
1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's a travesty how they treated Aleister Black. He was by far one of the best wrestlers when he was at NXT. He's had so many memorable matches. I have my fingers crossed that he'll make his way over to AEW where they'll use him properly. 

I agree. I always loved his "Black Mass" finishing move (the spinning kick to the face). I hope he does go to AEW. Mark Henry just joined AEW and he will be both an announcer and trainer for the talents. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
11 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I agree. I always loved his "Black Mass" finishing move (the spinning kick to the face). I hope he does go to AEW. Mark Henry just joined AEW and he will be both an announcer and trainer for the talents. 

I imagine Braun will be a hot property considering his physique and power but AEW seem to have a good eye for talent. I have my fingers crossed.

Lio Rush debuted on AEW’s PPV a few nights ago but apparently he’s not contracted yet.

• Like 2

AlbertV

Andrade has joined All Elite Wrestling with the name "Andrade el Idolo"

andrade-el-idolo.jpg

• Like 3

AlbertV
Posted (edited)

Samoa Joe is back in WWE. He is now on the NXT brand as the assistant to NXT GM William Regal.

Congrats goes out to Renee Paquette-Good (fka Renee Young) and her husband Jon Moxley. They welcomed their first child, Nora, yestreday.

Eva Marie returned to RAW on Monday and she has a mystery cohort who defeated Naomi. That mystery cohort is none other than Piper Niven!

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

HyperDrive

WWE has released 14 more wrestlers.

• Fandango
  • Tyler Breeze
  • Tony Nese
  • Killian Dain
  • August Grey
  • Curt Stallion
  • Ariya Daivari
  • Marina Shafir (Roderick Strong's wife)
  • Arturo Ruas
  • Tino Sabbatelli
  • Ever-Rise (Chase Parker & Matt Martel)
  • The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil & Samir Singh)

Tommy End is now sponsored by Hayabusa Combat.

NJPW of America is returning to live shows. Apparently AEW has given Jon Moxley the green light to appear.

• Like 2

AlbertV

After being released from WWE, Braun Strowman sported a new look. He trimmed down the beard. He will be able to sign with a new promotion on August 31 after his 90-day clause expires.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP9MVE5B5vZ/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=5ed1bfe0-5e8a-4767-a517-91984316eeb4

becky-lynch-seth-rollins.jpg

You can now call her Mrs. Lopez! Yesterday, WWE superstars Seth Rollins (real name Colby Lopez) and Becky Lynch (real name Rebecca Quin) were married in a private ceremony. The two are parents to a daughter, Roux, born in December 2020. 

ROH star Vita Von Starr has been pulled from the upcoming ROH Women's Title Tournament due to her constant inference in matches due to Righteous Leader Vincent. Maria Kanellis-Bennett, who is on the Board of Directors, made the announcement after she interfered in a match involving Matt Taven

Samoa Joe talked about his short-lived firing from WWE. He talked about how Johnny Ace gave him the notice that he would be released from the company and just a few hours later, Triple H told Joe to wait and this would lead to his return to the NXT brand not only as an "enforcer", but behind the scenes as a scout for new talent.
(eWrestlingNews)

Congrats to Cody and Brandi Rhodes as they became parents of a baby girl earlier this month, Liberty Iris Runnels.

Sonjay Dutt, who joined WWE as a producer, left the company on his own terms two weeks ago. It is rumored he may go back inside the ring for 1st time in over 4 years. 

Hideki Suzuki got a new name on NXT: Hachiman.

Mercedes Martinez went to the hospital to get checked out after being knocked out with a roundhouse kick by Xia Li during teir match on NXT.

WWE Superstar Otis changed his look again...he went from a long haired, bearded guy to a dark hair, clean shaven guy.

Renee Paquette told people on her latest podcast that Triple H would actually reach out to her to see if her husband Jon Moxley would be okay, especially after his injury in NJPW, even offering to help with anything. She felt like despite the two working for rival companies, there's clearly no bad blood between them. 

“Even when Jon left, there were times when Hunter would pull me aside because Jon was injured coming back from NJPW, and Hunter kept checking in to make sure he was okay and if we needed anything, they would have been able to help him in any capacity. It was nice to know the olive branch was still extended and it wasn’t that heat-seeking thing that everyone thinks it is. We’ve all spent so much time together and nothing bad went down.”

After losing his crown to Shinsuke Nakamura, the former Baron Corbin may be changing his name to Happy Corbin as WWE filed for a trademark on the new name. This could turn Corbin into a face, who is currently in a rivalry with Nakamura. 

This Friday, Taya Valkyrie (Frankie Monet)'s new film Unchained is being released on Demand and Digital. She plays a woman who helps the lead character compete in an illegal bare knuckle tournament. Eric Roberts and Mair Mulroney co-star. 

• Like 2

SunChien

AEW had a pretty good show last night with the debut of Malakai Black (formerly Aleister Black) attacking Arn & Cody, can't wait to see their matches.

Looks like the crowd is ready for Adam Page to dethrone Kenny Omega, I think that will be the main event of the All Out PPV.

On the WWE side, can't wait to see a live PPV in front of a packed crowd again, I think both Reigns & Lashley will retain their titles though I can see Big E winning and cashing in on Lashley.

• Like 2