The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

On 11/29/2022 at 7:53 PM, thundered mantis said:

I ordered Iceman Cometh and the new Snake&Crane Arts , thanks @bickle14

It´s a great discount, but it ends up very diminished for the european non UK fans due to postage. It would be great for us if they improve their game in that department

Its really hard to get my head around the fact that 88Films charges £12 in shipping for 1 (1!!) Bluray while Eureka doesnt charge shit for it when they are approx the same in base price for a movie. In reality it doesnt cost more than ~£5 to ship a dvd/blu within Europe untracked like 88 are shipping. I love the company to death for their efforts, but that just doesnt make any sense. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JCLegend86 said:

Its really hard to get my head around the fact that 88Films charges £12 in shipping for 1 (1!!) Bluray while Eureka doesnt charge shit for it when they are approx the same in base price for a movie. In reality it doesnt cost more than ~£5 to ship a dvd/blu within Europe untracked like 88 are shipping. I love the company to death for their efforts, but that just doesnt make any sense. 

I agree. But I think 88 ships them tracked?

I ordered snake&crane, Iceman cometh and DragonsForever Uhd with the 33%discount. Paid £16 for the shipping. Was still a little bit cheaper than amazon. Great deal, thx for that. But the shipping is a brake for me every time when I consider to order directly from 88. I have an individual discount of nearly 20£ because of my earlier orders, but I dont want to waste them for shipping. Sad...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JCLegend86 said:

Have you tried looking on Amazon.co.uk and compare the prices. Sometimes if you're lucky, Amazon's prices are lower with hardly any shipping cost if you have prime.

• Like 3

Thank you @venom10463 for letting me know about OrbitDVD. I cancelled my RareWaves order and got Righting Wrongs from OrbitDVD for $10 less (though I did end up paying an additional $10 for expedited shipping because I just couldn't wait)!

Anyway, I quickly skimmed through some of the special features, and I'm truly blown away by this release. Probably the most bizarre and incredible feature to me is the rare "Ladies Man" ending, which I had absolutely no prior knowledge of it existing. It is so incredibly dark and cynical, and has a very different feeling to the HK ending. I just wish there was a way to see the movie with the "Ladies Man" ending attached, just like they did for the multi-ending Ultimate Cut on the second disc.

With the way HK film companies would frequently discard deleted scenes/endings, it's amazing to see some of it survive and ACTUALLY be released to the public.

SPOILERS FOR THE HK ENDING AND "LADIES MAN" ENDING:

Spoiler

For the "Ladies Man" ending, it's the same as the HK ending (Cynthia and Yuen Biao both dead) but with an extra comedic beat before the credits roll. I kinda loved it.

Additionally, the ending Cantonese narration from the Japanese release is something I didn't know existed either, and it gives the original HK ending such a strange (and nonsensical IMO) twist.

Regardless of what you may feel about these different endings, the fact that these were included is a film preservationist's dream come true. To see a previously unreleased ending, and to hear the rare ending narration, made me unbelievably happy. Again, completely blown away by their inclusion on this disc. The 88 release is probably as definitive of a release as Righting Wrongs can possibly get. Plus, the artwork by Sean Longmore is STUNNING.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Have to wait for mine, it'll ship with Iceman Cometh.Is the BD the same as the original release, hoping to move it on unless there's something missing off this one.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

TigerCage1990
6 hours ago, saltysam said:

Have to wait for mine, it'll ship with Iceman Cometh.Is the BD the same as the original release, hoping to move it on unless there's something missing off this one.

Same,  Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin won't ship till next month.

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 12/1/2022 at 4:46 AM, Yggdrasil said:

Mine will arrive from Amazon tomoz.

You are lucky.  I want Ebola Syndrome.  It is the most disgusting, insane, hate filled fun movie ever made.  But I have so many movies I want to get.  I can’t justify getting it again, because the Discotek DVD is great.  I have always wanted to see the movie uncut with all those gory bits put back in the movie. Arggg.  I want it.  Gimme.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

You are lucky.  I want Ebola Syndrome.  It is the most disgusting, insane, hate filled fun movie ever made.  But I have so many movies I want to get.  I can’t justify getting it again, because the Discotek DVD is great.  I have always wanted to see the movie uncut with all those gory bits put back in the movie. Arggg.  I want it.  

It's not that gory. A bit grim in places and the character is a complete nutter. I bought it to replace the Hong Kong DVD. Not seen the discotek one so I can't comment on the looks of it. But why did they release it on DVD and not blu ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, saltysam said:

It's different but I don't know/remember enough to know if there's something missing on the new one compared to the old.

Jizzmaster Jerry
8 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

It's not that gory. A bit grim in places and the character is a complete nutter. I bought it to replace the Hong Kong DVD. Not seen the discotek one so I can't comment on the looks of it. But why did they release it on DVD and not blu ?

Anthony Wong is one sicko fucko in Ebola.  The Discotek pic quality is quite good.  It has the cut bits, separate from the movie in the special features.  I remember a lot cut.  Making it even more gory than Run and Kill.  But my memory may be failing.  Common thing for me.  When I got the DVD in 2007 DVD was the standard.  Blu Ray had been around a year or so.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Anthony Wong is one sicko fucko in Ebola.  The Discotek pic quality is quite good.  It has the cut bits, separate from the movie in the special features.  I remember a lot cut.  Making it even more gory than Run and Kill.  But my memory may be failing.  Common thing for me.  When I got the DVD in 2007 DVD was the standard.  Blu Ray had been around a year or so.  

It`s definitely gorier than Run&Kill but still it has just a few remarkably bloody scenes. Beginning and when restaurant owners are killed. It`s not violence but performance of AW and storyline which makes it "classic".

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry

True.  It’s no bloodbath but disturbing and some very shocking violence.  I don’t know if I like your quotation.  Are you suggesting that this is not a classic worthy of being shown in a double feature alongside something like Farewell my Concubine?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

I think anyone that picks up a slab of meat from a fridge, cuts a hole in it and spunks in it and replace it to be used later is a pretty grim bastard.

15 hours ago, Graysman said:

Cannot get over how good this 88 film’s release is truly stunning with fantastic artwork we are so spoiled for choice. 

21026954-3ACC-401E-8188-3360909046CF.jpeg

Never heard of the movie.  But I liked Police story with it's scary stunts. Seen the trailer of this, well actually half the trailer then ordered this. Best just to jump in with both feet. 

And another film with my all time favourite guy, Sammo. It's got to be worth buying! (Just one heck of a dodgy haircut though.)

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

From 88's FB:
IN THE LINE OF DUTY Limited Edition BOXSET featuring rigid slipcase, posters and a 100-page booklet with brand new writing and interviews is now finally available to pre-order on Amazon USA! Release Date Feb/March despite currently being listed for May and the price will drop from its current listing so get your preorders in now and don't miss out.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPXKNMK8

https://mvdb2b.com/s/InTheLineOfDutyIIV4DiscDeluxeCollectorsEdition/US88FB017

Edited by bickle14
  • Like 3

In terms of subtitling and subtitle timing, 88 Films crushes Eureka so I'm getting the boxset. I just ordered Eureka's edition of part 4 though just to own two releases with differing content and overall quality.

On 12/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Never heard of the movie.  But I liked Police story with it's scary stunts. Seen the trailer of this, well actually half the trailer then ordered this. Best just to jump in with both feet. 

And another film with my all time favourite guy, Sammo. It's got to be worth buying! (Just one heck of a dodgy haircut though.)

Just doing my civic duty on this.  For your first viewing, I strongly recommend the extended Japanese "Cyclone Z' cut.  There's important and funny Yuen Biao scenes that are only in that version.  Plus an outtake reel.

• Like 3