The 88 Films Blu-Ray Thread

Chemical Lemon

Killer Meteor
On 31/12/2016 at 1:26 PM, De Ming Li said:

Some of the folks on the Criterion forum seem absolutely convinced that HEX is an upscale and not true HD........

It's noticeably worse then the usual Celestial transfer, and the subs go way-out-of sync in places.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Apparently the shipping cost from ordering direct from the 88 Films store has jumped up considerably, anyone has the details?

Their reply@facebook for the shipping  issue;"  We were subsidising our postage before and now it's priced at a true reflection of what our fulfilment service costs to operate. Sorry if you don't like it but we were also seeing some of our limited editions go for silly money on Ebay so we thought we were probably undervaluing them hence the small increase. "

:wonderingSo if someone makes money in ebay selling their products that upset enough for them to make "normal" customers pay more....Nevermind I never ordered directly from them, in amazon.uk there has been good deals for their items. Hopefully it stays that way...

• Like 3

Thanks Tex Killer. So far I've bought the four Shaw titles released by 88, the first two (HEX, BLACK MAGIC) I got direct from their online store but the next two (FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS, HOUSE OF TRAPS) I got from Amazon UK. Amazon turns out to be slightly cheaper but of course I would like to directly support the label if I could even though they do set the price of their products just slightly above a massive third party retailer such as Amazon. Now SEEDING OF A GHOST will have a limited edition slipcase if you're fast enough to make one of the first 300 orders on their store but personally I couldn't really care any less for these sort of stuff. At the moment, for me it's a 50/50 toss up between their store or UK Amazon.

Just checking, does HMV ship internationally? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

if someone makes money in ebay selling

The guy who was selling these releases on ebay had them with slipcases and that's true that he asked for a very much higher price !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The guy who was selling these releases on ebay had them with slipcases and that's true that he asked for a very much higher price !

True..Limited editions=regular release otherwise but with slipcase, or "O-Card" as they call them. It should not concern 88 what buyers do with their discs but seems it does...

• Like 2

All because of this thread I've just purchased my first region free Blu Ray player as well as "Five Element Ninjas" and "House of Traps".

• Like 8

^ As expected english dub is there and as movie is masterpiece, sure purchase. I`m not fan of cover in general though, upper half is meh and low area is great. KF Bob should be doing their Shaw covers....

Edited by Tex Killer
  • Like 3

shaolin swords

good to see the killer constable disc is in English dubbed to I been waiting for a legit release with English language track for a very long time and its funny I was talking in chat with some one a while back about how I would love to see a legit release of killer constable in English dubbed and here it is THE KUNG F GODS ANSWER MY PRAYERS LOL  

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

The 88 Films BD of Seeding of a Ghost does not have the Cantonese track as promised by the box and menu, but the inferior Mandarin one.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The 88 Films BD of Seeding of a Ghost does not have the Cantonese track as promised by the box and menu, but the inferior Mandarin one.

That sucks but mine is already in route. Guess I could cancel it later but doubt that I will once I get it. 

• Like 2

Chemical Lemon

decided to watch Seeding of a ghost with commentary the first time through since I've seen it several times. 5 minutes in I was feeling pretty good about the commentary and then the first "off the cuff" wrong assumption was thrown out, "The first major star to never have made a film at Shaw Brothers was Chow Yun Fat". Aside from all the things in there you could nitpick it's straight up not true at its narrowest definition.  Not a big deal, I get where he's coming from, but still, it deflates the commentary right at the start. It's at this point I start questioning anything I hear that I don't know enough to question. I still like it though, I enjoy listening to Bey anyway, especially when he has stories about his first hand experiences. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

decided to watch Seeding of a ghost with commentary the first time through since I've seen it several times. 5 minutes in I was feeling pretty good about the commentary and then the first "off the cuff" wrong assumption was thrown out, "The first major star to never have made a film at Shaw Brothers was Chow Yun Fat". Aside from all the things in there you could nitpick it's straight up not true at its narrowest definition.  Not a big deal, I get where he's coming from, but still, it deflates the commentary right at the start. It's at this point I start questioning anything I hear that I don't know enough to question. I still like it though, I enjoy listening to Bey anyway, especially when he has stories about his first hand experiences. 

Could it be that Bey Logan is more familiar and knowledgeable on HK action films from the early/mid 80's onwards than with the classic Shaw films which where made a decade or so earlier?

• Like 2

Chemical Lemon
41 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

Could it be that Bey Logan is more familiar and knowledgeable on HK action films from the early/mid 80's onwards than with the classic Shaw films which where made a decade or so earlier?

Oh Yeah, I'm sure.  Bey tends to talk in generalizations and he probably wasn't aware that CYF was in a drama.... but... if you're going to throw something out off the top of your head like that it makes sense to add doubt to what you're saying.  Like saying "I think".  It's not a big deal, just unfortunate to have it happen right at the beginning of the commentary.  It's just such a bizarre not-true-fact to throw out too.  Like the sort of thing you wouldn't think to say unless you had checked it out first.  Not like throwing out the wrong name for an actor or making mistakes in somebodies filmography.  Things that you might just randomly throw out without much thought.  But this is not the sort of thing that just pops into your head, like you have to consciously determine who falls under "Big Stars" and then somehow, in your head, eliminate the ones that have been in any of nearly a thousand movies (although probably only a few hundred that apply to "Big Stars" he's thinking of).  So the sort of thing I wouldn't think you'd say unless it was a fact that you keep in your back pocket and throw out when it comes up in conversation.  Just strange, but I'm putting WAY too much thought into it.  It's just a mistake.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 21/01/2017 at 7:38 AM, reason108 said:

Surely Bruce Lee was the first big star never to work at Shaws?

It's not one of his finest commentaries, sounds too improvised, but he's done so many good ones. His House of Traps one is great.

• Like 2

Chemical Lemon

Yeah Bruce came to mind too, except I thought he was in a SB movie as a child. But I thought it was "The Orphan" and it looks like that was a different company. So now I'm not sure. 

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

Did Kwan Tak-hing ever work for the Shaws?  Do not underestimate his popularity in Hong Kong over a few decades. I always try to be careful stating firsts.

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 1/17/2017 at 10:16 AM, Drunken Monk said:

All because of this thread I've just purchased my first region free Blu Ray player as well as "Five Element Ninjas" and "House of Traps".

Yay @Drunken Monk, welcome to the party! :bigsmile:

On 1/17/2017 at 3:24 PM, Karlos said:

Must get paid SOON! I've gotta have it. :nerd:

On 1/18/2017 at 0:05 AM, Tex Killer said:

^ As expected english dub is there and as movie is masterpiece, sure purchase. I`m not fan of cover in general though, upper half is meh and low area is great. KF Bob should be doing their Shaw covers....

Geez, thanks man. I'd love to do art for this film!

I did talk to 88 Films about doing covers for them. They were extremely nice, but it wasn't in the cards.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:57 AM, Cloud Hands said:

I like the lower half of the Killer Constable cover, but yeah.. I'll probably be reversing the sleeve to have the original artwork as I have with other 88films releases.

Masked Avengers is also up on amazon.co.uk:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NCSKU8I/ref=pd_luc_rh_bxgy_01_02_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've reversed the covers on the ones I have so far.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:26 AM, shaolin swords said:

good to see the killer constable disc is in English dubbed to I been waiting for a legit release with English language track for a very long time and its funny I was talking in chat with some one a while back about how I would love to see a legit release of killer constable in English dubbed and here it is THE KUNG F GODS ANSWER MY PRAYERS LOL  

Ask and you shall receive!

And in that spirit... I'd like each of us forum members to receive a million dollars tax-free please. Thank you in advance universe. :angel:

• Like 2

Ok, here are some screenshots of Seeding of a Ghost. Pay no attention to the little warning label in the top left hand corner about removing the watermark. I am trying out some new blu-ray player software and haven't decided if I want to purchase it yet or not. 

Seeding 1.png

One thing to note is that after the SB logo ends, the ratio of the image gets bigger; fills up more of the screen. So, less black bars at the top and bottom of the image. If I am not mistaken, it is the same ratio as the Region 1 dvd. The PQ on the blu-ray is pretty good. A lot better than the Region 1 dvd. 

Seeding 2.png

Seeding 3.png

Seeding 4.png

• Like 4

So far have 4 of their releases (all were double dips):

Hex (have IVL), Five Element Ninjas (have IVL), Black Magic (have Image) & House of Traps (have IVL).

May pass on these two:

Seeding of a Ghost (have both Image & IVL).

The Mighty Peking Man (have Miramax).

Will definitely get:

Killer Constable (have IVL)

Masked Avenger (have IVL)

• Like 3