The Criterion Collection Blu-ray Thread

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 11/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, nahnahnah said:

Not related to Martial Arts films but still within the realm of Asian films, Criterion is to release Ann Hui's 'Boat People' in Feb. 2022:

ZgGiOOksWOICnlrW6vvvKGbjfOLnul_large.jpg

I heard this movie was disturbing and only for a 1 watch setting. I want to see it though. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Holy shit! I had no idea this came with parts IV,V and 6? I didn’t even know there was 3 more sequels? I’m guessing Jet Li is not in them?

1130B465-7DFC-418E-B79B-B2C80342B26F.jpeg

41F9902D-6A8B-4BFF-A85A-45F39303D8D9.jpeg

I’d also like to add barnes and nobles packaging sucks. The box set came dented and the folded packaging disc thingy on top cracked. I like my films in its own individual casing. But for the price I guess I can’t bitch too much 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Holy shit! I had no idea this came with parts IV,V and 6? I didn’t even know there was 3 more sequels? I’m guessing Jet Li is not in them?

Jet Li isn't in Parts 4 and 5, instead Vincent Zhao plays Wong Fei Hung, but Jet returns for Part 6. Yuen Bun directed 4, Tsui Hark directed 5, and Sammo Hung directed 6. All are official sequels produced by Tsui Hark.

I'm so glad Criterion restored 4 and 5 since they're such fun movies. I feel like they were constantly overlooked because the home video releases were hard to track down. Enjoy!

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
6 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Jet returns in part 6..set in wild wild west, America. 

Directed by Sammo. 

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 5

• Administrator
On 11/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I heard this movie was disturbing and only for a 1 watch setting. I want to see it though. 

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never watched this critically acclaimed film after about 36 years of being into Hong Kong cinema. I'll definitely buy the Criterion release though.

I've heard it's riveting, but an emotional ride.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I’d also like to add barnes and nobles packaging sucks. The box set came dented and the folded packaging disc thingy on top cracked. I like my films in its own individual casing. But for the price I guess I can’t bitch too much 

Um, no matter the price, it should be shipped with care and arrive "new", not damaged. My son called today and mentioned that his ONCE set had arrived, and that despite the flimsy shipping pouch it was in great shape. Mine was due to arrive on Tuesday, but for some reason is now heading away from me again. :dull

Anyway, I know your questions were answered above, but here's my two cents... Vincent "THE BLADE" Zhao takes over the role of Wong Fei-Hung, and though he's not quite able to match Jet's portrayal, the films and action are still very enjoyable. The 6th film is a real love it or hate it among fans. I love it. It's like a ridiculous cartoon version of the old west, with OTT characters, but it works for me. It's definitely on a tonally different plane than the rest of the series, though the characters' developments continue their through lines. Knowing your tastes in films, I think you're going to totally dig it. :bigsmile:

• Like 8

On 11/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Super Ninja said:

Great movie! Definitely worth the purchase. I wonder if there's any chance The Romance of Book and Sword ever gets a similar release?

I think we have a better chance of getting the remaining two films in Hui's Vietnam Trilogy released on Criterion, which I wouldn't mind at all especially since the first film  & the four short films included in the now OOP IVL box set can definitely benefit from the Criterion treatment.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never watched this critically acclaimed film after about 36 years of being into Hong Kong cinema. I'll definitely buy the Criterion release though.

I've heard it's riveting, but an emotional ride.

Um, no matter the price, it should be shipped with care and arrive "new", not damaged. My son called today and mentioned that his ONCE set had arrived, and that despite the flimsy shipping pouch it was in great shape. Mine was due to arrive on Tuesday, but for some reason is now heading away from me again. :dull

Anyway, I know your questions were answered above, but here's my two cents... Vincent "THE BLADE" Zhao takes over the role of Wong Fei-Hung, and though he's not quite able to match Jet's portrayal, the films and action are still very enjoyable. The 6th film is a real love it or hate it among fans. I love it. It's like a ridiculous cartoon version of the old west, with OTT characters, but it works for me. It's definitely on a tonally different plain than the rest of the series, though the characters' developments continue their through lines. Knowing your tastes in films, I think you're going to totally dig it. :bigsmile:

The 6th flim, wasnt bad in my opinion, not the greatest or the worst, I prefer the first three and Last Hero in China. It was the first Wong Fei-Hung flim that i ever saw of Jet Li on VHS back in high school during my senior year. I do prefer listening to the Mandarin track that  has Jet Li's real voice.  That's how ill watch it from now on even if it is silly but fun to watch while i'm resting getting my booster shot.   I hope it arrives safely, not some pirate or a certain guy who uses a wet cloth as a weapon.

• Like 5

On 11/18/2021 at 7:23 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

IV and V do not have him, but the final movie in the series, Once Upon A Time In China and America does feature him and the Mandarin dub is the first time Jet Li's own voice is heard in any of his movies.

• Like 7

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just got done revisiting parts 1 and 2 and man!!! The fight scenes are super inventive. Hong Kong cinema was the gold standard back in them days. Can we talk about the score? My holy gracious, it adds so much! I am pumped!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Just got done revisiting parts 1 and 2 and man!!! The fight scenes are super inventive. Hong Kong cinema was the gold standard back in them days. Can we talk about the score? My holy gracious, it adds so much! I am pumped!!

If you mean the music by score-->Yes i can talk about the score all night long :D  I love it and it pumps me also, everytime. Like this: :laluot_01: 

Thats why i could cry watching Iron Monkey...this movie could be an absolute masterpiece (it still is actually). But with a pumping bursting score it would enter a new level. 

As a kid my only attentionpoint was the fighting. But in recent years i developed a sense for emotions and thanks to that many movies became much more mo.fu. in my eyes and im happy about it.  Like DM 1 and 2 or Fongsaiyuk.

Oh yes "it adds so much"...:love

• Like 6

OpiumKungFuCracker
6 hours ago, AslanBey said:

If you mean the music by score-->Yes i can talk about the score all night long :D  I love it and it pumps me also, everytime. Like this: :laluot_01: 

Thats why i could cry watching Iron Monkey...this movie could be an absolute masterpiece (it still is actually). But with a pumping bursting score it would enter a new level. 

As a kid my only attentionpoint was the fighting. But in recent years i developed a sense for emotions and thanks to that many movies became much more mo.fu. in my eyes and im happy about it.  Like DM 1 and 2 or Fongsaiyuk.

Oh yes "it adds so much"...:love

Absolutely!! I wanna buy the soundtrack in vinyl. I have them on mp3 already but if I can find them on records that would be dope! 

• Like 5

On 11/23/2021 at 1:39 AM, AslanBey said:

Damn...

At the moment I'm ok with just the movies... :D

Smart man, the wife may unleash her tiger fists on you for spending so much on that CD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ZenkaigerBat said:

Smart man, the wife may unleash her tiger fists on you for spending so much on that CD.

With that CD playing in the background maybe it would be worth it... first person live action movie in 3d🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Janus Films is distributing the new restored version of Johnnie To's THE HEROIC TRIO. I would expect Criterion to release this sometime this year.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk

I just saw one of those “announcement” Twitter accounts (those that announce upcoming Blu Ray releases) reveal that Criterion will definitely be releasing The Heroic Trio.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
17 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Janus Films is distributing the new restored version of Johnnie To's THE HEROIC TRIO. I would expect Criterion to release this sometime this year.

16 hours ago, dwk said:

Good sign that even more of those Miramax licenses are starting to expire.

13 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I just saw one of those “announcement” Twitter accounts (those that announce upcoming Blu Ray releases) reveal that Criterion will definitely be releasing The Heroic Trio.

That is GREAT news! I've been yearning for a hooked-up Blu-ray release of this.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Criterion definitely own the rights to THE HEROIC TRIO, but a blu-ray release has not been officially announced or confirmed yet. A person "in the know" says that Criterion has the rights to this film and more Fortune Star titles, but that there is no guarantee that they will all be released on blu-ray as they may just be for their streaming service and other digital venues.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Criterion definitely own the rights to THE HEROIC TRIO, but a blu-ray release has not been officially announced or confirmed yet. A person "in the know" says that Criterion has the rights to this film and more Fortune Star titles, but that there is no guarantee that they will all be released on blu-ray as they may just be for their streaming service and other digital venues.

They also got the lo wei Jackie Chan movies coming to their stream service from what I saw and read

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graysman said:

They also got the lo wei Jackie Chan movies coming to their stream service from what I saw and read

They put up a slate of 8 Jackie Chan titles (Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, Spiritual Kung Fu, The Fearless Hyena, The Young Master, Fearless Hyena 2, My Lucky Stars, Police Story, and Police Story 2) on the Criterion Channel in 2020.  Of those, the two Police Story movies are the only ones they've released on disc. They also are the only two they toured theatrically.  So, if they tour The Heroic Trio, then, I think, the odds are good that they'll release it on Blu-ray.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

Not a big fan of the movie (it's good for what it is) but hopefully, this means that more Johnnie To titles could be acquired for the Criterion treatment. Here's hoping to Criterion doing the late 90s Milkyway movies...

• Like 2

The local Alamo Drafthouse is actually screening The Heroic Trio on March 28th, and I was surprised to read in the description that Janus was distributing it. A Criterion Blu-ray is extremely exciting for me! I've never seen the movie, but not at all opposed to more Hong Kong movies getting the Criterion treatment.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Alamo Drafthouse page, if anyone in the area is interested:

https://drafthouse.com/los-angeles/show/the-heroic-trio?cinemaId=1701&sessionId=26707

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 4

On 3/10/2022 at 7:05 PM, nahnahnah said:

Janus Films has now added the pages for both THE HEROIC TRIO and it's sequel EXECUTIONERS to its website. Looking more and more likely that a home video release is forthcoming from Criterion (though it might not come this year).

• Like 2