TO KILL A MASTERMIND

THE PROUD TWINS

BOXER FROM THE TEMPLE

THE MASTER STRIKES BACK

THE PROUD YOUTH

And I´ll call it a day lol

• Like 3

FightingFool

Wishing 88rights have expired for 1st parts and arrow would give brave archer and one armed swordsman(yes am aware all swordsman movies are available as br already, in fact own 2 of those) boxsets. Hoping for boxsets more over single releases because that would give at least good chance to have book too on 1st pressings to perfect package..

Criminals box would be superb, have not seen any of those..

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 7:20 AM, FightingFool said:

Hoping for boxsets more over single releases because that would give at least good chance to have book too on 1st pressings to perfect package..

Looks like you just may get your wish!

it's an exciting time to be a Shaw Brothers fan.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 21.17.15.png

• Like 4

thundered mantis

hope they make individual releases afterwards to catch up with the pennies of guys like me, that ain´t too much into wuxia. Except they put out a Liu Chia Liang boxset...

• Like 4

Really excited to find which titles are included in the boxset. I know it's going to be expensive and there might be a surcharge for shipping such a heavy item but I have a gut feeling it's going to be worth splurging on! :BL-Yell:

• Like 4

Once again Amazon has let the Cat ( or Snake in this case) Out of the bag early...

Shawscope Volume 1 Limited Edition [Blu-ray]

This inaugural collection by Arrow Video presents twelve jewels from the Shaw crown, all released within the 1970s, kicking off in 1972 with Korean director Jeong Chang-hwas King Boxer, the film that established kung fu cinema as an international box office powerhouse when it hit Stateside cinemas under the title Five Fingers of Death. From there we see Chang Cheh (arguably Shaws most prolific director) helm the blood-soaked brutality of The Boxer from Shantung and two self-produced films in his Shaolin Cycle series, Five Shaolin Masters and its prequel Shaolin Temple, before taking a detour into Ho Meng Huas King Kong-inspired Mighty Peking Man, one of the most unmissably insane giant monster films ever made. Changs action choreographer Lau Kar-leung then becomes a director in his own right, propelling his adoptive brother Gordon Liu to stardom in Challenge of the Masters and Executioners from Shaolin. Not to be outdone, Chang introduces some of Shaws most famous faces to the screen, including Alexander Fu Sheng fighting on the streets of San Francisco in Chinatown Kid and, of course, the mighty Venom Mob in The Five Venoms and Crippled Avengers. Finally, Lau and Liu successfully meld high kicks with humor in two of their masterworks, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho, both co-starring fan favorite Hsiao Hou.

From kickass kung fu killers to crazy kaiju knockoffs to culture clash comedies, this carefully curated and gorgeously presented selection of all-time Shaw Brothers classics merely represents the tip of the iceberg of the studios rich output, making it both an ideal starting point for newcomers and a treat for hardcore fans alike.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION CONTENTS

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Five Shaolin Masters, Shaolin Temple, Mighty Peking Man, Challenge of the Masters, Executioners from Shaolin, Chinatown Kid, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K restorations by Arrow Films from the original camera negatives of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K master of the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid from original film elements
  • Original uncompressed Mandarin, Cantonese (where applicable) and English mono audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles for each film
  • Hours of bonus features including brand new commentaries and critic appreciations on selected films, new and archive interviews with cast and crew, alternate credit sequences, trailer and image galleries for each film and more to be announced!
  • 60 page book featuring new writing by David Desser, Simon Abrams and Terrence J. Brady, with cast and crew info for each film plus trivia and soundtrack info
  • New artwork for each film by artists including Matthew Griffin, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Ilan Sheady, Tony Stella, Darren Wheeling and Jolyon Yates

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 13.02.38.png

• Like 10
  • Buddha Bless You 3

Drunken Monk

Well, time to save my pennies until it’s up for pre-order. I imagine this one might be pretty costly but it looks like it will be well worth it.

• Like 4

FightingFool
5 minutes ago, LiuYiLong said:

Shawscope Volume 1 Limited Edition [Blu-ray]

• Hours of bonus features including brand new commentaries and critic appreciations on selected films, new and archive interviews with cast and crew, alternate credit sequences, trailer and image galleries for each film and more to be announced!
  • 60 page book featuring new writing by David Desser, Simon Abrams and Terrence J. Brady, with cast and crew info for each film plus trivia and soundtrack info

Those sound brilliant. Better it is 12 films and not 26 movie megabox, makes (positive)purchase decision easy. Chinatown Long Cut 2k is huge plus, besides bonus features  also get something new in movie department. I have german br but haven`t watched (vhs) quality flick yet. And never will rather wait this to December.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Well, time to save my pennies until it’s up for pre-order. I imagine this one might be pretty costly but it looks like it will be well worth it.

The Arrow Video Cultists over on Blu-Ray.com seem to be claiming £125, they appear to have managed to get it to appear somewhere on the Arrow site already, but i'm not Arrow-y enough to be able to do that myself ;)

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, LiuYiLong said:

The Arrow Video Cultists over on Blu-Ray.com seem to be claiming £125, they appear to have managed to get it to appear somewhere on the Arrow site already, but i'm not Arrow-y enough to be able to do that myself ;)

That’s a much better price than I thought. After buying the Friday the 13th box set, I thought this would cost a lot more.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

That’s a much better price than I thought. After buying the Friday the 13th box set, I thought this would cost a lot more.

£110 early bird price is now seemingly the defacto price according to the Arrow gurus, or if they're following the 'Gamera' model it'll likely get a re-release next year probably split in two, in normal sized boxes and without the book.

But this is a day 1 pre-order for me. It's expensive still for a single set, but not a single movie in the set i don't adore.

Exciting times!!

Tomorrow we'll get 88 Films announcement too, and my wallet will explode just like the Centipede smashing a falling plate

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

FightingFool

While movie selection is solid, lau kar leung movies have been criminally rare on BR so far also bit disappointed there is not single lesser known movie from early era of shaw swordplays. Hopefully future volume(s) will change it. £110 if correct feels ok price, going to log pre-order today at arrow store if available. Is mighty peking man any good?never seen it, considered 88 disc in past but ignored it finally.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, FightingFool said:

While movie selection is solid, lau kar leung movies have been criminally rare on BR so far also bit disappointed there is not single lesser known movie from early era of shaw swordplays. Hopefully future volume(s) will change it. £110 if correct feels ok price, going to log pre-order today at arrow store if available. Is mighty peking man any good?never seen it, considered 88 disc in past but ignored it finally.

Few weird things about the movie choices, no 36th Chamber when that was the only Shaw's title they announced in advance, but hoping we get a Vol2 following on behind it or a standalone 36th Chamber trilogy boxset too.

Mighty Peking Man is great fun! I prefer Inframan over it, but prefer Mighty Peking Man over Oily Maniac, always think of them together as a trilogy of Danny Lee oddities. If you like Godzilla / Gamera type movies ( guy in suit stomping model buildings) Then I'd say you'll enjoy it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Chemical Lemon

Wow this is an amazing box set, far exceeds what I was expecting. The only disc in here I could do without is Peking man (especially since it was already released by 88). I’m especially interested in the new remastered titles and whether they contain additional footage, more image or alternate cuts, especially excited for longer cut of Chinatown kid. Very excited for this.

Edited by Chemical Lemon
Cleared up meaning
  • Like 4

Drunken Monk

I just pre-ordered it. It's £15 shipping and handling to the US. But hey, if I'm forking out £110 for the set, I can't complain about an addition £15.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Also, on Instagram Arrow says this is a US release. Does that mean it'll be available on Amazon.com? If so, I need to cancel my pre-order as I'm bound to get it cheaper on Amazon.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Also, on Instagram Arrow says this is a US release. Does that mean it'll be available on Amazon.com? If so, I need to cancel my pre-order as I'm bound to get it cheaper on Amazon.

US set is up for pre-order on Zavvi and Diabolik.

• Like 4

I just checked the preorder prices at both zavvi and diabolik and zavvi is $142.79 while diabolik is $137.99 including standard shipping & tax if applicable.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I canceled my order with Arrow and purchased via Diabolik instead. The price is far better as ordering from Arrow ends up costing $175.

• Like 3