The Arrow Films Blu-ray Thread

Drunken Monk

Why do Arrow ruin fantastic releases with such horrendous packaging? Did it with Demons Double Feature 4K and now this unwieldy, shelf averse crap.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

Cheers for the code, that one I already had, so did the same as you and pre-ordered straight from Arrow for the reward points, massive kudos for knocking up a mock up!! I thought I was fast making up a breakdown video on it all, but that's impressive!!

I don't think I have a shelf wide enough to sit this size outwards on but will cross that bridge in December, I'm mostly just really happy it's coming out, but do kinda wish that the Criterion Zatoichi boxset had set a bit of standard of format for the big releases rather than the Gamera / Godzilla / Bond oversize monstrous ones.

I'm sure in time it'll come out as two smaller, more shelf friendly versions albeit sans book, but don't want to wait that long :)

P.S, Can I ask what are the dimensions of that Spielberg boxset? when i checked online it says 

27.8 x 18.6 x 3.8 cm which seems smaller than I expected (and than it looks)

but Amazon is frequently wrong!

No, that's not my mock up lol...that's from James Flower's twitter (producer & project manager for Arrow Films).

I don't actually own that Spielberg box set but here's a YT unboxing video showing the relative size of it. Those dimensions you listed seem correct.

• Like 3

Couldn't pass up pre-ordering this. Chinatown Kid in the full length version in HD? Can't pass up the good version of that one, plus all of the other fantastic movies in the set. I'm not too worried about the size of it as it won't be as massive as my Star Trek The Next Gen UK set.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

I won't lie I would have preferred single releases as I own half of these movies on blu already but the idea of a box is intriguing too, and of course there is movie quality and extra stuff. The only box-like thingie I have is this atomic-war-safe metal suitcase which I got really cheap on ebay back when one could still make good purchases on ebay, the 7 boxes fit in nicely and are now as safe as in Buddha's palm.

Star Trek Koffer eBay Kleinanzeigen

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Already have 5 of the 12 movies on blu ray.Peking Man I have no interest so potentially buying this for 6 movies. I'll probably end up getting it

• Like 1

FightingFool

Think not like package itself. It may look cool in shelf have but doubts about how practical it is. Outer box+4 amaray cases 2 discs/case and book would imo do better..

Hopefully vol 2 has something bit exclusive in movie departments like Chinatown Kid 2k in vol1. As HD for "to kill a mastermind" exists that would be perfect. Would take uncut Avenging Eagle with welcome too, assuming there is still no info around when it will be released in Germany.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I don't actually own that Spielberg box set but here's a YT unboxing video showing the relative size of it. Those dimensions you listed seem correct

Thanks for posting that! It's a much more manageable size than I was expecting from the initial images!

• Like 5

Welp, there goes the neighborhood*.  I’ve been a bit conservative with all the recent 88 Films and Eureka releases because I’ve needed to be, but this box is just everything.  I knew I was saving up for a reason…

*i.e. my bank account.

5 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I won't lie I would have preferred single releases as I own half of these movies on blu already but the idea of a box is intriguing too, and of course there is movie quality and extra stuff. The only box-like thingie I have is this atomic-war-safe metal suitcase which I got really cheap on ebay back when one could still make good purchases on ebay, the 7 boxes fit in nicely and are now as safe as in Buddha's palm.

Star Trek Koffer eBay Kleinanzeigen

That is a very cool Star Trek case and now I want one.  ST should be the thing that survives an apocalypse after all.

• Like 6

Well despite my intense dislike of the packaging i've ordered and paid for this earlier. With the code, £103.50 delivered. Hopefully get some funds back by selling the titles i already have.

• Like 5

On 7/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, LiuYiLong said:

Once again Amazon has let the Cat ( or Snake in this case) Out of the bag early...

Shawscope Volume 1 Limited Edition [Blu-ray]

This inaugural collection by Arrow Video presents twelve jewels from the Shaw crown, all released within the 1970s, kicking off in 1972 with Korean director Jeong Chang-hwas King Boxer, the film that established kung fu cinema as an international box office powerhouse when it hit Stateside cinemas under the title Five Fingers of Death. From there we see Chang Cheh (arguably Shaws most prolific director) helm the blood-soaked brutality of The Boxer from Shantung and two self-produced films in his Shaolin Cycle series, Five Shaolin Masters and its prequel Shaolin Temple, before taking a detour into Ho Meng Huas King Kong-inspired Mighty Peking Man, one of the most unmissably insane giant monster films ever made. Changs action choreographer Lau Kar-leung then becomes a director in his own right, propelling his adoptive brother Gordon Liu to stardom in Challenge of the Masters and Executioners from Shaolin. Not to be outdone, Chang introduces some of Shaws most famous faces to the screen, including Alexander Fu Sheng fighting on the streets of San Francisco in Chinatown Kid and, of course, the mighty Venom Mob in The Five Venoms and Crippled Avengers. Finally, Lau and Liu successfully meld high kicks with humor in two of their masterworks, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho, both co-starring fan favorite Hsiao Hou.

From kickass kung fu killers to crazy kaiju knockoffs to culture clash comedies, this carefully curated and gorgeously presented selection of all-time Shaw Brothers classics merely represents the tip of the iceberg of the studios rich output, making it both an ideal starting point for newcomers and a treat for hardcore fans alike.

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION CONTENTS

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Five Shaolin Masters, Shaolin Temple, Mighty Peking Man, Challenge of the Masters, Executioners from Shaolin, Chinatown Kid, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K restorations by Arrow Films from the original camera negatives of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K master of the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid from original film elements
  • Original uncompressed Mandarin, Cantonese (where applicable) and English mono audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles for each film
  • Hours of bonus features including brand new commentaries and critic appreciations on selected films, new and archive interviews with cast and crew, alternate credit sequences, trailer and image galleries for each film and more to be announced!
  • 60 page book featuring new writing by David Desser, Simon Abrams and Terrence J. Brady, with cast and crew info for each film plus trivia and soundtrack info
  • New artwork for each film by artists including Matthew Griffin, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Ilan Sheady, Tony Stella, Darren Wheeling and Jolyon Yates

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 13.02.38.png

I just realized that our friend teako170 has taken a part in the book, that's great !

• Like 7

Shaolin Patriot

Kudos to Arrow for providing the longer cut of Chinatown Kid and to our true "Champion of Shaolin," Terrence!  Looking forward to volume 2!

• Like 5

Shaolin Patriot
On 7/9/2021 at 7:42 AM, ShawAngela said:

The only thing I complain at is that there is no art on the discs...

Arrow needs to get it approved by Celestial.  

• Like 5

I own 8 of the 12 films in some form or fashion and this is still an easy pre-order for me. I understand that basically nothing of Shaw Brothers is in print in Region A, and absolutely get why this is basically a blank slate to work with as far as what titles to release.

The SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976), CHINATOWN KID International Cut, and DIRTY HO selections are perfect picks: they're coveted by aficionados while at the same time being representative of movements and periods in Shaw's history that make them super useful for a beginner and make sense in a collection like this.

MIGHTY PEKING MAN, given 88 FILM's dedication in releasing the big name horror titles, was probably the best choice for the "oddball" film. It's an easy sell and a really fun film. It was basically this or INFRA-MAN, and this is the less weird one.

FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH and FIVE DEADLY VENOMS are actually incredibly generous picks-- both could've sustained the same kinds of stand alone releases that 36TH CHAMBER and 8 DIAGRAM are rumored to be getting.

It's a really exciting time to be a Shaw Brothers fan!

• Like 5

FightingFool
8 minutes ago, wmcguire18 said:

FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH and FIVE DEADLY VENOMS are actually incredibly generous picks-- both could've sustained the same kinds of stand alone releases that 36TH CHAMBER and 8 DIAGRAM are rumored to be getting.

Agree to both fivers and when rely on forums and fb there is definitely market and demand for Shaws it`s safer(for arrow and eventually it benefits us fans too vol 1 sells handsomely) to put some really big names into boxset to attract such buyers who are not very familiar with Shaws but just scratched surface. Both movies are famous enough..

"It's a really exciting time to be a Shaw Brothers fan!"
So true...Long time felt IVL dvds were OK and in some cases improved r1 releases were enough but when germans(+few from hk and Usa) started to release blus it did not took that long time when started to feel dvds are not good enough anymore. Not going to buy everything again on BR but... Depends of movie how much it has replay value and many do a lot.

• Like 6

MaskedAvenger85
1 hour ago, wmcguire18 said:

I own 8 of the 12 films in some form or fashion and this is still an easy pre-order for me. I understand that basically nothing of Shaw Brothers is in print in Region A, and absolutely get why this is basically a blank slate to work with as far as what titles to release.

The SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976), CHINATOWN KID International Cut, and DIRTY HO selections are perfect picks: they're coveted by aficionados while at the same time being representative of movements and periods in Shaw's history that make them super useful for a beginner and make sense in a collection like this.

MIGHTY PEKING MAN, given 88 FILM's dedication in releasing the big name horror titles, was probably the best choice for the "oddball" film. It's an easy sell and a really fun film. It was basically this or INFRA-MAN, and this is the less weird one.

I couldn't agree with you more my friend! For me it's like Christmas and my birthday all combined, every month lol. All the anticipation of what the upcoming releases are is enjoyment in itself for me personally! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wmcguire18 said:

Regarding The Super Inframan, they don't have it right now but it's not by choice as Arrow would "love to do it."

Screenshot_2021-07-11 ET13_PRODUCTIONS on Twitter.png

• Like 5

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 7/8/2021 at 4:34 PM, thundered mantis said:

hope they make individual releases afterwards to catch up with the pennies of guys like me, that ain´t too much into wuxia. Except they put out a Liu Chia Liang boxset...

I'm so thankful that there are films my Lau Sifu on this set! And you must be happy to hear that 88 Films are doing individual releases of SHAOLIN MANTIS, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, and MARTIAL CLUB? It's what I've been dreaming about. :bigsmile:

On 7/9/2021 at 8:52 AM, FightingFool said:

While movie selection is solid, lau kar leung movies have been criminally rare on BR so far also bit disappointed there is not single lesser known movie from early era of shaw swordplays. Hopefully future volume(s) will change it. £110 if correct feels ok price, going to log pre-order today at arrow store if available. Is mighty peking man any good?never seen it, considered 88 disc in past but ignored it finally.

I am a big fan of MIGHTY PEKING MAN. Lots of fun!

On 7/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, LiuYiLong said:

There will be, just very likely it's still being worked on, no @KUNG FU BOB sadly, but the names of the artists involved are:

Matthew Griffin, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Ilan Sheady, Tony Stella, Darren Wheeling and

I'm looking forward to see the artwork by these cats. I'm especially looking forward to see what Tony Stella did. I'm a fan of his work.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:26 PM, Yihetuan said:

Please let one of the titles be Human Lanterns!

New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

No worries- this one's coming from 88 Films! :party

On 7/9/2021 at 6:00 PM, LiuYiLong said:

I don't think I have a shelf wide enough to sit this size outwards on but will cross that bridge in December, I'm mostly just really happy it's coming out, but do kinda wish that the Criterion Zatoichi boxset had set a bit of standard of format for the big releases rather than the Gamera / Godzilla / Bond oversize monstrous ones.

I'm sure in time it'll come out as two smaller, more shelf friendly versions albeit sans book, but don't want to wait that long :)

On 7/9/2021 at 7:57 PM, saltysam said:

Why do Arrow ruin fantastic releases with such horrendous packaging? Did it with Demons Double Feature 4K and now this unwieldy, shelf averse crap.

@LiuYiLong and @saltysam I feel the same way. I wish companies would stop doing this. My Godzilla, Zatoichi, Herzog, Gamera, and Bond sets are all a pain-in-the-ass size. Please distributors, do basically standard Blu-ray height and depth slip-boxes with individual cases inside, like Shout Factory's THE FLY, THE OMEN, and (apparently) the FRIDAY THE 13TH (I didn't get this last one) sets. Pleeeeease! That's the only negative on this set for me. Otherwise it sounds like da bomb!

22 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I just realized that our friend teako170 has taken a part in the book, that's great !

You go, bro! :clappinghands

4 hours ago, wmcguire18 said:

Nice write-up @wmcguire18. Well said.

• Like 7

thundered mantis
34 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'm so thankful that there are films my Lau Sifu on this set! And you must be happy to hear that 88 Films are doing individual releases of SHAOLIN MANTIS, LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA, and MARTIAL CLUB? It's what I've been dreaming about. :bigsmile:

Absolutely!!! Those three are totally coming home! It seems that in a couple of years we´re gonna get our fair Shaws share

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, thundered mantis said:

Absolutely!!! Those three are totally coming home! It seems that in a couple of years we´re gonna get our fair Shaws share

At last, after so many years with nothing new !

It would be so great if a company was able to release some if the ZiiEagle movies !!

• Like 4