FreeBlockbuster Units

Koravec

Have you guys heard of these things? Or seen any around? Im certain your city/town could use one if not.

Theyre pretty cool, practically like a free library box you may of seen more commonly where people can go to the unit and leave or take a book. 

Except these are for movies, with an emphasis on nostalgia it seems, VHS appropriate. While essentially having no relation to Blockbuster aside from the recognized nostalgia.

Theres a website for them, freeblockbuster.org with a map of all the locations that I didnt even know about, very cool very resourceful. 

Theres one with a really sick paintjob in a local indie theater around me. I want one of these for the home! lol

They go in old blue painted discarded newpaper dispensers with a yellow blockbuster stencil sprayed on. Talked to the organizer of the two or three in cincinnati, however hes a bit less enthusiastic about them considering the maintenance and occasional greed or ignorance some people have using them. 

12964013-24CF-45F5-A52A-C2FCE66F7F18.jpeg

• Like 1

Should add it seems like theres an instagram page for a bunch of specific box locations. The one I know of has even had updated restock pictures before to show the contents.

Also realized that you can buy the units off the site for a couple hundred dollars along with other merch. 

How cool is this?

1A466440-9A83-4281-85A5-4D9D9F743746.jpeg

• Like 1

Took a miniature california raisen from the box, had to lol. Miss seeing those things, want to watch more of their appearances sometime, think its a funny concept and Im into the idea of different theatrical music acts, or virtual, etc. Looks like it belongs on my shelf where it is now.

Going to put a vintage yoda figure in its place. May even watch out for super cheap funkos to toss one or two in.

• Like 1