Tokyo Vice (2022) HBOMax - Ansel Elgort, Ken Watanabe

laagi

I just binge watched the first three episodes and really enjoying it thus far. Definitely one of the better crime dramas I've watched. Ansel Elgort puts in a great performance so does a strong supporting cast. It moves at a rather slow pace which might put off some viewers but to me it finds just the right balance. Highly recommended!

I'd be curious though to hear from someone more familiar with japanese society on how accurately it is depicted here. It certainly delivers on some of the hearsay.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

This is on my “To watch” list. Every review I’ve read so far says it’s pretty slow so I’m not going in expecting a rapid pace. But I’ve heard it’s a return to form for Mann.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

This is on my “To watch” list. Every review I’ve read so far says it’s pretty slow so I’m not going in expecting a rapid pace. But I’ve heard it’s a return to form for Mann.

I just think nobody is willing to put in some time anymore in actual development of character and story. This is what the series does and I honestly think it one of its strengths.

I can see that in our "instant gratification" society most will not have the patience for such shows. It's a real shame! I for one am tired of the constant rush in entertainment. I have enough of that already in real life.

• Like 3

The series so far has been excellent.  Everyone gets their character developed gradually and naturally the way (Michael Mann does in Heat for example.)  Looking forward to see the next round of episodes when they get released.  I love this show.

• Like 3

I thought it was pretty bad. The Yakuza thing has been done to death. The forced English by the Japanese characters was bad and hard to listen to.

Samantha is so annoying.

The main white dude was wet as a turd.

Watanabe was cool as always though. His scenes with his family were nice.

• Like 1