Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (1972)

legendarycurry

legendarycurry

I have a confession to make: I found this film very slow moving, mostly dull and my mind often wandered away from onscreen proceedings. I simultaneously feel it was visually appealing, well choreographed and had a solid story.

If it weren't for the way that the pacing lags, wherein the first 45 minutes feel like 2 hours, this could have been a fast paced action drama with two solid central performances. Instead it is a bit of a slog that only comes alive in its latter half with action sequences on display and heightened stakes.

The intimate moments so to speak, are certainly there,but they vary from crushingly dull to wildly un-erotic to just plain and unremarkable.I didn't come in to this film looking for exploitative thrills, wonderfully sharp action beats or even the deepest of stories, but what I did want was a competently made story of intrigue from Chor Yuen (Every SB wuxia adaptation you can shake a stick at)

Unfortunately Chor Yuen's direction is without any flair or sense of pacing. Acting is solid from leading ladies Lily Ho ( 14 Amazons)  and Betty Pei (The Delinquent), and the Chinese courtesan equivalent of becoming your worst enemy is an interesting one, it just isn't interestingly told. When things turn to revenge is when the picture picks up the pace and I found it hard to focus on things other than the movie. But when a movie is under 90 minutes and about 20 of said minutes are action scenes, and you have beautiful Shaw sets and a competent director at the helm, I genuinely expect the flick to hold itself (and my attention span) together for the rest of the time with directing, editing choices, music and its story.

What I will remember most from this film is it's blood splattered ending sequences, something which essentially boils down what could of been so much more into a basic revenge movie with a glossy surface but no real narrative excitement.

5/10

• Like 1

Wow. You need to put on a monocle and wear it with total disdain for your contemporaries. :) Many reviews I've read put it on the upper rankings of Shaw Brothers films.

• Like 1

legendarycurry
40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Wow. You need to put on a monocle and wear it with total disdain for your contemporaries. :) Many reviews I've read put it on the upper rankings of Shaw Brothers films.

:monk_laughing:  what can I say, to each their own image.jpeg.4dabefa816d610bd3becdd1352dc878c.jpeg

• Like 1